Broadway Ltd Trackmobile

beiland

I'm trying to find out if anyone has successfully installed some sort of 'keep alive' that would allow these VERY short wheelbase locos to negotiate insulafrog turnouts in congested switching track zone??

Meantime I did find a rather interesting discussion about adding lighting effects,...

Here is a YouTube video where a sound system was installed in one of them.

The keep alive systems are pretty big in comparison to the amount of space available in one of these. I think the KA could be sized down to carry the engine for about a second instead of the typical 10 -15 seconds capacity they have now. That might make the KA small enough to put in this critter.

Last edited:
If you don't care about being able to see it through the windshield, you may be able to get one into the cab area.

Actually 1 or 2 seconds might be just enough. And I don't need sound, ....so more room for KA?

I've have already nixed the idea of frog juicers

If ya just power your frogs properly they shouldn't give your track mobile any problem.
This application in the video is only using the switching contacts on the Tortoise machine.

Almost all of my turnouts are Peco,..insulated frogs,...plastic frogs, so powering them is NOT an option. And I was NOT going to invest in all new switches...too numerous.

Lots of research said the the non-power frog Pecos were fine with DCC operation.

I also intend on having over 70% of my turnouts within easy arm's reach, so manual finger flicking will be easier and less involved in trying to make everything automatic.

I appreciate your efforts to 'convert' me, but I am trying to avoid electrical and computer linked complications.

Even my turntables (2 of them) are going to be manual.

Back