Broadway Ltd AC6000 shell swaps

beiland

Broadway Ltd AC6000 shell swaps

I have a number of Broadway AC6000 locos that I am considering swapping shells around on. Has anyone done this, and/or have recommendations? BTW these are all brand new engines I have never run.

I have two early CSX models that have the QSI sound systems installed. I also have two UP models with Paragon 2 sound systems installed. I would like to keep the CSX locos, while upgrading their internals to the paragon 2 .

Is it worthwhile? What sort of problems might I encounter?

They are very similar, though the wiring is not completely identical. You'll need to swap the fuel tanks and trucks, as well, because they are different color, and the CSX version has Hi-Ad trucks.

Why not contact BLI and see if they can upgrade the 2 QSI's to Paragon 2? Keep all your locos the same then.

I ended up running the QSI locos and I'm happy with their performance and sound,...so no reason to swap shells.

They are also quite heavy locos that should have great pulling power, particularly as a pair. I also have one or two of those CSX fuel tender tank cars I can run between the two locos,...like this
CSX%2029%20Tender.jpg

I ended up running the QSI locos and I'm happy with their performance and sound,...so no reason to swap shells.

They are also quite heavy locos that should have great pulling power, particularly as a pair. I also have one or two of those CSX fuel tender tank cars I can run between the two locos,...like this
CSX%2029%20Tender.jpg
Interesting arrangement. The AC6000's of BLI's are very heavy locos, great pullers. Using them in a consist like that with their QSI decoders will eliminate any difficulties with matching them up with other brands. The ones I have got in my SD35's are factory set-up to very slowly respond to the throttle as they start rolling, ostensibly to better simulate a big load being moved. Lot's of momentum applied is my guess. I'm sure it could be changed and much more easily with JMRI decoder-Pro than adjusting the CV's with the Cab (seems you have to alter more than 1 just to get where you want).

The interesting arrangement is of the fact that it's normal practice to have a buffer car between loco and any flammable fuel containing car, but that would make a very unwieldy lashup.

You can change the momentum with CV 3 for acceleration and CV 4 for braking. Usually numbers around 5 are enough so ya don't have jack rabbit starts and the slow downs aren't boring.

Back