Broadway Limited Union Pacific 4-12-2 Brass Hybrid

Even though the MTH version was a very stupid idea of MTH, expecting the hobby to abandon DCC and limit their choices to his DCS equiped locos, the detail of MTH is a bit more than BLI. The MTH version offers a working center crank on the top of the front pilot. It also provides running lights on the tender. For the extremely long waiting period of BLIs first announcement to actual delivery, i.e. 5 years, I expected something much better than what they delivered.

Not too long ago, I chatted briefly with Mike Wolf about this, and his decision to not sell his decoders aftermarket was not based as much on bring proprietorial as you might think. He has no warranty returns, for example, for blown up decoders due to incorrect installation, or a motor that he didn't make overloading the motor drive outputs. When explained in that manner, it does make sense, as how many of us have occasionally blown up a decoder when wire A inadvertently touched output B, and the decoder manufacturer replaced the decoder under warranty?
His DCS system incompatibility is another matter....

It doesn't matter how indestructible his decoders are, nobody is going to chuck all their DCC equipment for his limited DCS selection. That sorta like offering a new socket tool set with a different kind of ratchet wrench. For some reason, Mike thought he was going to corner the model railroad market with his own brew of decoder. I think just about everyone saw what the next step would be, given his propensity to go around suing everybody who had anything to do with model railroading. He's money hungry and I would be inclined to think he would have planned to run the prices up if he ever got a chunk of the market.

DCS was a strange way to go, BUT, remember, MTH models still operates on DCC just fine, with some limitations, which honestly, I doubt many would miss. I own about 10 MTH models and have never run them on DCS, only DCC. I don't even own a DCS system. My only complaints with DCC limitations were:

1. advanced consisting, but now you can do it on DCC with their latest diesels (but not the steam models yet, as far as I know), and
2. programming the address, which had to be done 'on the main' via CV 17,18, but even that has changed. I was able to program the address of the new Allegheny as I would any other DCC model using the standard programming menu features of an NCS handheld. For programming (on the main or programming track modes), I have a short piece of flex track on my work bench hooked up to an NCS handheld and do all my programming (MTH, BLI, etc) there.

You can't quill the whistle on MTH locos with DCC, but there are some nice whistle features that work with DCC. For instance, one button forward (two short whistles) and reverse (three short) signals, one button crossing signal (two long, one short, one long).

Aside from that, for the most part they've been trouble-free (I had a GS-4 that stripped a joiner to the motor shaft and had to be sent back for repair), strong pullers, and in my opinion, some of the best 'chuff' sounds of any sound system. You don't have to chuck your DCC system for DCS.

1. advanced consisting, but now you can do it on DCC with their latest diesels (but not the steam models yet, as far as I know).

Actually with the new Mth steam locos you can do advanced consisting. I think he said that in an interview with train world. So your Allegheny can now be in an advanced consist as well as speed match it with other locos. Mth has done some major improvements over the years and I'll still purchase their products. In terms of the 4-12-2 it appears that the MTH does have a few more features such as the the marker lights on the tender and smoke box which look sharp. However, Are you guys saying that the MTH has better separately applied details. If so that sucks because the BLI model is brass which would be a shame if it got beat out by a die cast model. One last thing I will say is I like the sounds on the bli more. The whistle is closer to the prototype and the bell sounds really crisp as well. the only thing broadway dissappointed me on was the chuffs being slightly out of sync. MTH was spot on, Broadway not so much.

OHH and 1 more thing! lol How Could I forget about that horrid articulated frame on the mth. I'm sorry but that's kind of a deal breaker. The main reason why the 4-12-2 is amazing is because they got a ridiculous amount of wheels on a rigid frame. When you articulate it, it kinda takes away from the novelty of the design. Ok I'm done ranting lol

OHH and 1 more thing! lol How Could I forget about that horrid articulated frame on the mth. I'm sorry but that's kind of a deal breaker. The main reason why the 4-12-2 is amazing is because they got a ridiculous amount of wheels on a rigid frame. When you articulate it, it kinda takes away from the novelty of the design. Ok I'm done ranting lol

Ah, but the MTH version has a lockout screw on the frame which locks the frame rigidly. They give you the option of the articulating frame or rigid with that feature.

Back