ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Hey guys,
no introductions needed you know who it is :cool: lol. Anyway I'm starting to get into brass and it looks like I'll be getting the bli 4-12-2 since a lot of you gave good reviews of it. However, seeing as how I love talking with you guys and having fun discussions I would love to know your opinion and critiques on the new BLI brass hybrids overall. Also are there any models you are particularly looking forward to from that line? Thanks in advance and let the discussion begin!

Last edited by a moderator:

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I have a BLI AC6000 with smoke unit on order. Should be here in June sometime. The way things have been going with BLI I'm more inclined to think it may arrive sometime in 2019.

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
I pre-ordered a Southern Pacific AC-12 cab forward from Factory Direct Trains, same place I got my 4-12-2 from. They don't list an expected delivery date, and BLI doesn't even have it on their delivery schedule, so it could be awhile before it gets here!

Railrunner130

I have the Dreyfus Hudson and it's an awesome engine.

I also have the New Haven I-5, although it's from a previous batch. (I got a "deal"...) It seems to be a decent engine, but the leading wheels don't like to stay on the track. Oddly enough, the engine has derailed twice (almost fatally for the locomotive) in a spot where nothing else has ever had an issue on my layout. Good thing it's tough, otherwise it'd be in the trash and I'd be kicking myself.

Selector

I have three. The first was the Union Pacific TTT-6 (2-10-2), and I found it to be a stunningly fine locomotive. Thankfully, the whistle is correct. Caused me to rip up three feet of groomed track, but it had to be done to get it around a sweeping wide descending curve. The tender kept derailing. It was fine after I elevated the outer rail on that curve about half a mm.

Second one was the PRR Q2 Duplex 4-4-6-4. Another home run as far as I am concerned. BLI batting 1000. Only annoyance was with the whistle. Its sound is okay, but obviously looped, something that BLI seems to have acknowledged as a minor fault and have corrected in their latest catalog announcement.

Lastly, the new UP Union Pacific class 4-12-2. Once again, execution is excellent, at least on par with the other two. Good quality control. Everything works as advertised. The whistle...should have used the QSI sound file for the UP TTT-6 because they were the same. They thanked me when I suggested they get the rights to that file, or at least find a way to get the right whistle. They didn't. A miss. It is fairly close, but the TTT-6's whistle was spot on.

I can't say the drives are different between the Paragon 2 and the Hybrids (they seem to have abandoned the "Brass Hybrid" name and all are Paragon 2 in their latest catalog). I believe the only difference is that the shells are brass components. Most fixtures, appliances, frames, etc, are typical for BLI, metal or plastic as they can acquire them or make them cheaply.

Although it is hard to be absolutely sure, it seems to me that the brass models are somewhat heavier. They have a heft to them that the other similarly sized locomotives don't have. It could all be psychological, though.

Iron Horseman

However, seeing as how I love talking with you guys and having fun discussions I would love to know your opinion and critiques on the new BLI brass hybrids overall. Also are there any models you are particularly looking forward to from that line? Thanks in advance and let the discussion begin!
Lets see. I originally ordered a GN S-2 in fall of ummm ummm 2005? After waiting for five years I cancelled the order. So now, ten years later, I still don't know anything about them. I see they are at least announced again, but I don't think I'll be ordering.

Lets see. I originally ordered a GN S-2 in fall of ummm ummm 2005? After waiting for five years I cancelled the order. So now, ten years later, I still don't know anything about them. I see they are at least announced again, but I don't think I'll be ordering.

Lol I'm sorry you've had to wait so long. That's one thing I've heard about BLI is that they are really slow when it comes to releasing the good stuff. How long were we waiting for the 4-12-2, 6+years? lol I remember seeing it back when I was 15 I'm 20 now so it's been a lil while. I must say however, if you stick in there the locos appear to be worth the wait. The Q2 as Selector was say is a phenomenal engine. The sounds could be worked improved on but after looking at the new catalog it appears they're doing that. I'm really excited for the onslaught of new products coming out by them and this paragon 3 with Rolling Thunder is an amazing idea. I already have a huge sub woofer bass amp that I'm planning on using. The neighboors will probably think there is an actual train running through the neighborhood lol I'm just curious to know if they changed the sound sets completely or if they are using the same sounds but incorporating rolling thunder. I think it'll probably be new sounds whistles and all. I noticed they were experimenting with new whistles within the locos that came out in the last year. Something to think about I guess :rolleyes:

Highball

I´m looking forward very much for the T&P 2-10-4 cause it´s my favorite steamer ever I guess. Dreamed about a good model of it since 19 years. I don´t have any experience yet with the BLI Brass Hybrid line but let´s wait and see. I just hope I don´t need to wait too long after hearing that some people waited over 6 years for the 4-12-2 and some are waiting since 10 years for the GN 4-8-4. I hope that after 19 years of dreaming and (waiting of course!) I won´t need to wait 5 or so more years for it, but chances are sadly high because it was already pushed back 2 times...

I am also really anticipating this model although i didn't know of the engine's existence till BLI announced it lol. I guess we'll just have to wait and see my friend. The one I'm most excited for is the new heaven I-4. That has to be the most stunning model out of the group imho.

petey

Fellas,
The Hybrid line is THE best way to start in brass. Same model, except brass boiler & tender shell. And half the price of a regularly imported brass model. The GN S-2 was announced in 2006. At that time, it was to be a plastic version of the full brass Museum Series. It was never made. If you read the 2015 catalog carefully, not all models shown are slated for production. You are expected to indicate your interest by pre-ordering. If enough do this, the expectation is, they will manufacture it.
A couple of years ago, I decided to try and find a Museum brass S-2, since that was the only that had made it to market. There was zilch information anywhere, including BLI. I finally found one on eBay, it sold for something like $1700. For some reason, I don't recall, I though the seller had another one. I wrote him and he acknowledged that he did have another. But, it didn't run. I bought it for half price. Sent it to a repairer, and soon found out why it didn't run. The tender wheel axles had been reversed. The drawbar had been thoroughly insulated with paint. There were no electronics installed. My guess was that it was a preproduction sample, never meant to be sold. I have had a TCS WOW decoder and smoke installed. It is quite impressive.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.