Brass Schnabel Car Help

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Not sure, but the value would certainly be better if it were on my layout...
:)
Terry, it is a nice car. But I have one of the Bachmann's Schnabel cars that is almost twice as long as this one. Trying to thin down my collection a bit to a more manageable size.

Espeefan

Brass Trains' Brass Guide has it listed for $600.00 with pricing trending upward. I usually apply a .85 multiplier to their pricing as a "reality factor" or "expectations adjuster", but in the case of low production or high demand models, you might just get that. Now will someone pay that? Maybe. If it were me I'd dump the Bachmann car and keep this one. The Bachmann car is common as church mice. This one is a much more unique and desirable model, but it's your railroad.

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Brass Trains' Brass Guide has it listed for $600.00 with pricing trending upward. I usually apply a .85 multiplier to their pricing as a "reality factor" or "expectations adjuster", but in the case of low production or high demand models, you might just get that. Now will someone pay that? Maybe. If it were me I'd dump the Bachmann car and keep this one. The Bachmann car is common as church mice. This one is a much more unique and desirable model, but it's your railroad.
Now you have me re-thinking Alan. :rolleyes:

Espeefan

Now you have me re-thinking Alan. :rolleyes:
It all depends on your priorities :) I can see selling it and applying the funds to more urgent wants/needs. OTOH I've always been the sort who wants things you don't see every day. They're great conversation starters, among other things. One thing is sure: You'll always get your money back out of brass unless you panic sell, or get stupid.

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
It all depends on your priorities :) I can see selling it and applying the funds to more urgent wants/needs. OTOH I've always been the sort who wants things you don't see every day. They're great conversation starters, among other things. One thing is sure: You'll always get your money back out of brass unless you panic sell, or get stupid.
No need to sell it for now. I just had no idea that that one car could be as valuable as my Big Boy!! :eek:

Rico

BN Modeller
A wise old friend once told me "It is better to have and not need than to need and not have".
I've found this to be so true many times over!
Unless you're hurting for funds it costs nothing to hang on to it for now.

tootnkumin

Staff member
A wise old friend once told me "It is better to have and not need than to need and not have".
I've found this to be so true many times over!
Unless you're hurting for funds it costs nothing to hang on to it for now.
The other like that is "You cannot miss something you have never had. Only when you have had, and then lost, can you miss and regret it's passing".

JazzDad

Gandy Dancer
"A frog in a well does not know the great sea." What, you may ask, does this have to do with the other quotes? Nothing, but it's a traditional Japanese proverb that I like.

bnsf971

AKA Gomez Addams
Staff member
FWIW, and even though nobody asked me, I think I'd keep the smaller brass schnabel that would better operate on my layout, and sell off the larger Bachmann schnabel.

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Yepper, that sounds about right. I have been thinning the herd down a little on FB. The wife says I can buy new stuff if I get rid of some of the older stuff I'm not going to use. o_O

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com