Brass 2-8-2 Project

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Espeefan

Those are pretty! Looks like a lot of work, but worth it.
Yes to both! They are a lot of work, but they are also the only way to get many steam locomotives that are correct. Over the years I got tired of foobies. I wanted the right models. Not to be condescending, we all do our best according to our budget, but I wanted what I wanted. It took some 20 years to get some of the models!

Espeefan

Years ago I went to Bowser in PA. seen those brass CSX and some steam locos and always liked them. Problem is the price has tripled since.
Thanks, I've had them for a few years now waiting on someone to make the shield decals. Finally found some, Not cheap either but one of a kind.
Vintage brass isn't terribly expensive. These are 1970-1980's models. If you look at the seventh pic down from the top you'll see a third 2-8-2 in the background, no tender. I found that model at a train show. $250.00 in the original box with tender. It'll get stripped and re-painted, a can motor and a decoder which bring it up to my current standards. The total investment will be close to the price of a modern plastic diesel with sound, or still comfortably below a modern plastic steamer or "brass hybrid" by Broadway or MTH. Sherrel is half right, vintage brass diesels don't approach the detail of modern plastic, and the drives can be a royal pain depending on who manufactured it, but the modern stuff is much more prototype specific and very nicely detailed. It is priced accordingly! Opinions vary widely. Some see brass as a "snob appeal" item. I resorted to it because it was the only way to get some of the models I wanted, mostly in steam and passenger equipment. Brass is also a great way to make things happen. Something you want not available in plastic? Buy the brass model. Next thing you know three manufacturer announce a plastic one! That's happened to me a couple of times, but most of what I wanted will never be done in plastic.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com