Branchline Blueprint Passenger Car

N

NP2626

Have you built any Branchline Blueprint Passenger cars and if so, what did you think?

I have built many Branchline Blueprint or Yardmaster kits and they are one of my favorite kits to build. I love all the detail parts and they're fit to the car. Other than some parts being very small and fragile, I have enjoyed building these kits immensely! I also liked the fact that more of the tiny-fragile part than was needed, where provided with each kit! Atlas the owners of Branchline kits does not seem to be producing these kits any longer. Atlas may have purchased the Branchline line of model kits to get rid of a competitor, I don't know. But, at Atlas's website no Branchline kits seem to be available, anymore.

Other than seeing the Branchline Blueprint passenger cars in advertisements, I had never bought one and so, needless to say had never assembled one. I assumed that they would be very high quality with many detail parts. Recently I purchased a New York Central Pullman Sleeper off of Ebay for $8.96 Buy it Now price. This was an extremely good deal as most of the other Branchline Passenger Car kits where selling for from $20.00 to $50.00!

Since I model the Northern Pacific, the first order of business was to repaint this car. This car would likely have been done by the N.P. in their Butter Knife/Pine Tree paint scheme; or, if later than 1954, the two tone green Lowey Paint Scheme would have been used. I elected to go simpler than this with the car simply being painted in Olive Drab/Pullman Green. Re-painting and adding the decals was completed and I started assembly. I was right the kit is very well done and has many optional parts to build specific Pullman Cars. I did find some parts that did not really fit in their locations and was quite confused by where equipment was supposed to be located on the underside of the car, until I flipped one page of the instruction over and found the right diagram explaining part locations! Work progressed to a point where I could mount the trucks and I fount that due to the slant of the double I-beam main members of the underside, interfered with truck swing and pushed the inside of the trucks up so they where canted and rubbing on the main beams. I wondered if I hadn't seated these beams into their slots correctly; but, this was not the case! Also, this is a 60 foot car, not a 72', 73' or 85' foot car as was normal for N.P. Passenger cars! My smallest radius is 22 inches. I wanted to stay with 60 foot cars as my layout is a mountainous one and 60 footers look better on my winding track work! So surgery will be necessary to the undersides of this car. It makes me think that the designers at Branchline designed this car to run on large radius curves; or, maybe to simply be display models!

HPIM8200.JPG

HPIM8201.JPG

HPIM8202.JPG

First photo shows the Branchline Blueprint 60 foot Pullman Car's undersides with the modification to the main beams. This photo also shows the amount of detail Branchline Blueprint cars have on their undersides! Although my car looks cluttered on the undersides (realistic) I can state that I did not use all the details, as the plans are somewhat vague as to where the details go and the details themselves are not numbered so positive Identification of parts becomes difficult.

The second photo shows the cut away main beams to good advantage, with the trucks mounted. As seen in this photo you can see where most other passenger car manufacturers end their main beams, as extending them under the trucks will limit the size of the radius curves the car will be able to negotiate!

The third photo shows the same location with the Truck removed (slightly out of focus, sorry). The last photo shows good detail of how Branchline came up with a a body mounted coupler system for these longer cars, allowing them to swing some on the curves. Also, you can see that I have raised the truck from the bolster by gluing a red fibre washer to the bolster. Without this, the truck had no float action for uneven track work. Try as I would to make my trackwork nice and level, the fact that I used Superelevation in my curves and grades going up and down, I need some wobble in my trucks mounting.

Nice work .... that is a lot of detail! I have never seen one of those in real life, but I have to say that the detail looks great!
Certainly able to see what you had to do - I wonder just what radius the car could take without the "mods"?

Nice description of the work and good photos too!

Patrick, I assume by "Rails" you mean the main beams of the underside of the car. If I;m wrong, could you clarify what you mean. The modifications I made now allow the car to run on at least 22 inch radius track.

This is one of those projects where hindsight really helps out! Were I to build anymore Branchline Blueprint passenger cars (which I certainly may) I would cut the main beams to length, previously to installing on the car. A real problem with the purchase of these cars is that at this time there are One and a half pages of Branchline Blueprint Passenger Car Kits offered on Ebay, today December 10th, 2019. Very few, if any, sellers describe the length of the car(s) they are selling, a very important detail to know! Branchline offered these cars in 60 to 80 footers? in their passenger car kit line. It's for sure that an 80 foot car would not work on my layout, would it on your's? It might be that Branchline Blueprint Passenger Cars where designed the way the prototype cars where designed with the length of the main beams causing problems on model railroad style curves and so thought was given to the fact that there would be problems! Rivarossi Passenger Cars, Athearn Blue Box Heavy Weight Passenger cars and Con Cor Heavy Weight Cars seem to have cut away main beams for allowing truck swing on model railroad trackage. So, there are things to know about; for your layout and for the passenger cars you want to run on it. Keep in mind that due diligence is necessary!

That's good, MARK; I don't think that anyone will notice the modification unless the car rolls over and exposes it's rear-end.
Your detailing of your work is good, even for a "dummy" like me!
The only thing to make the writeup better would have been to show a picture of the beams before you cut them back?

Sherrel D. This would never have happened, because I didn't know there was going to be a problem until I mounted the trucks, with the beams as supplied by Branchline.

It also appears that Branchline Blueprint Passenger Cars where only made as Pullman Car Kits. This is somewhat limiting for passenger trains!

The tooling is now owned by Atlas, who imports assembled versions of the kits in limited numbers. There are also two types of Heavyweight coaches in this line. The remaining kits and parts are distributed by Bethlehem Car Works, http://bethlehemcarworks.com/ho-scale-craftsman-kits/ , which also sells customized "Craftsman" kit versions with additional car plans not included in the original product line. You can check them out ad see if they meet your needs.

Boris, good to know! I knew that Branchline had ceased production and that Atlas had bought the line and basically discontinued it. So, where I was basing my judgement from, was what was available on Ebay. That Bethlehem had anything to do with the Branchline series was unknown to me! Thanks for that information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back