Bowser M-1 Mountain (brass)

T.C.

Found this in a old box today, I have the parts to fix the side rod but I am missing the worm gear and shaft that connects to the rubber motor connector.
Any Ideas where I can find one ?
Thanks T.C.

DSCF2073.JPG
DSCF2073.JPG

I didn't realize Bowser did brass. Most of their stuff is some kind of cast metal, but not brass. Maybe "Zamak" or some other kind of zinc product. I do know that some of those old ones start to "rot" if they get too moist and eventually crumble. This looks like it's a bit of a rare find.

Thanks for the replies
Haven't tried looking for the part yet, ya think Bowser still has parts for something this old ?
Don't know if it's rare but it is solid cast brass (weighs a ton).
I would like to know if it is rare and how old it may be ?
Thank T.C.

TC: Contact Lee English at Bowser, and see if he can help you. they still have some inventory of parts left over. You can also try Northwest short Line, they offer replacement parts for older stuff.

Thanks I will give that a try, I looked over there site and seen only one worm with a shaft but with out a part number I'm shooting in the dark.
T.C.

Even their non brass stuff weighs a ton. I have a K4 with the cast metal (not brass) and I couldn't run it at the modular club I belonged to years ago as it would make the connector tracks they used between the modules flex down due to weight and end up derailing. Everything else ran fine, but that puppy would make them sag.

The worm gear would have to have teeth that mesh with the bull gear on the main axle. Push comes to shove, you might have to change the bull gear. That would require removing the wheel from the main axle, which would probably require re-quartering all the drivers. Don't know if they still have it, but North West Short Line (NWSL) used to make a re-quartering jig. They may be able to supply the drive parts you will need. You probably should count the teeth on the bull gear before you contact them. Love the boxspox drivers on the Mountain! Pretty good-size drivers. I note that the center drivers are all flanged. That may limit the curves the beast will negotiate.
Best of luck!

NWSL was pretty well known for selling the parts needed to do the conversion at one time, not sure if they still do as Bowser obviously isn't as popular as they once were. I wonder if they still sell the quartering jig as well. It's a handy little tool for that sort of thing. I had one at one time, haven't seen it in years.

Thanks again
I emailed Bowser yesterday and got a reply from Lee English who gave me a part number and suggest I look a the hoseeker.com web site for the instructions for the kit.
Only problem is the kit part number and Lee's numbers aren't the same ?
So I will have to get back with him and see if he has the parts to match his numbers ?
The quarter is still made in fact they now make a new model that sells for 150.00 .............ouch !
I would rather not regear as I want to keep this as Original as I can, don't know why, I guess because it's so old ?
I'm thinking Bowser used the same worm gear for all the engines so if I have to I will find one and put it on a shaft the correct size.
T.C.

Now, in case you are thinking of painting that hawg, the C.B.&Q. painted one of their O-5 4-8-4's gold for their 100th (?) anniversary. Not the same as your mountain-type, but, just a thought! ;)

So I'll just leave it as is, it has a clear lacquer coat on it.
That was easy........lol
T.C.

Back