Bottle Brush Conifers

Hi all: I've been making some more "pine trees" for my layout, (ever have enough?). So, I decided to take some photos this time.

Basic materials.

P1020866.jpg

Florist wire.

P1020867.jpg

Rope strands cut to lengths.

P1020869.jpg

Rope strands inserted in wire.

P1020870.jpg

Wire twisted with drill.

P1020872.jpg

Tree trimmed with scissors to shape.

P1020873.jpg

Tree painted flat black.

P1020874.jpg

Tree sprayed with adhesive and sprinkled with foam.

P1020875.jpg

Trees on layout.

P1020902.jpg

Nice work Grampy! Great pictures too. I use Bush bottle trees myself and use your technique of powdering them with foam to fluff them up some,

Joe Daddy

Good work it kinda reminds me of Bill Kosanda's work...it has been a while since he posted though.

Grampy, great pics!
I'm almost at that point where I need a ton of trees for a view block, guess I better get shopping!

Great work, Gramps. Those are some of the most realistic fir trees I've ever seen. Now, where did I put that vice grips and that twine? :)

Hi All: Here's a follow up. For those modeling in N scale, here's a few smaller trees i just made. These are 12', 8', and 6' tall in HO scale.

P1020944.jpg

Bottle Brush Deciduous Trees

Hi: I've been experimenting with trees, again. These are the same basic method as the conifers.

P1030275.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Grampystrains :
I like the "decudious" trees much more than the "pine" trees! Nice trees sir!!
I do, you can, use the same technic to make small shrubs/bushes in HO , or small trees in N scale ...
instead of using rope strands I use very thin wires....

Jos

Fantastical trees!!!!! :)
Thank you for sharing an awesome tree tip that should save many of us a lot of money and give us great looking trees in a short time. I've seen many good tree building ideas, but I believe this is the best and easiest I've seen so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Grampy,
That is exactly how I'm making my pine trees. I think I just need to make a few hundred of them to get some practice!

Very nice trees though!!!

Thanks for sharing Grampy.

Very nice looking trees. I also enjoy viewing your layout. It is a very impressive job.

Well.....it will be a bit before I reach that stage. Just in the planning for a new layout. But will be glad to share what I have learned from what you are doing when I get there.

Keep posting those pictures you are enhancing my planning.

Russ

Grampy, your modeling is outstanding! I really like those trees. Keep on giving us your pointers and inspiring us.

Thanks GRAMPY

Grampy, fabulous idea and great result. I like your trees a lot. Especially
deciduous trees you made. Very nicely done. Thanks for the tutorial.
icon14.gif

I have been researching this for a while . I need lots of deciduous trees (aren't we all?). How long does it take per tree?

Maybe I should exchange a weather car for a few trees ? hehehe:D

Back