BNSF going natural gas

Will this mean tenders on mainline trains for the CNG? I don't even want to think of a GEVO or similar sounding like it's powered by a gas engine!:eek:

Can't comment on the story. All I could get was the "Wall st Journal" asking me to pay $80AUD for the priviledge of reading it.

Sites that run talking ads should be automatically deleted... I had my earbuds in and that surprised the hell out of me.

Didn't they experiment with NG a few years back?
Big oil will surely step in with some kind of deterent!

News is they are working on switching over next year. That'll change up sound decoders :confused:

No they are not switching over next year, the key word in both articles is TEST.

"to Test Gas in Locomotives"

"BNSF Railway to Test Switch to Natural Gas"

Big difference in what your thread header says, you must be a journalist. :)

It would take a significant fleet of NG locomotives, and a very large economic discount, for them to make that kind of move. They'd have to add another fueling station at each of the yards and keep huge volume of NG at each yard in order to make the locomotives useful.

Likely it can be cheaper in the long run, but they're using the public research to get their oil supplier to cut them a deal.

But it's potentially vastly superior.

I'd like to see the US railroads go to electrified mail lines, with wind generators along the route where ever viable to add power rather than buying it from the grid. Then just add pantographs to the existing locomotive fleet. That way they wouldn't have to do an "all or nothing" kind of install.

When BN ran their test locomotives in the eighties or nineties they had a 50 or 60 ft tender between the pair of locomotives.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Neat.

bnft31a.jpg

Also neat.

CNNatgas.jpg

Last neat for this post.

9.jpg

Natural Gas

Not the wave of the future. Anti Fracking groupies are now linning up to kill natural gas just like they killed the nuclear power.
Thanks
Wayne

I can understand some safety concerns with NG, 'cause if they go "Bang", they do it in a big way.

But at least you don't have to wait 40-50 years before you can go near the site again.

Naw, pig pee (DEF) mixed with diesel exhaust is the way to go, 0 emisions.
Gas engines should be on their way out but politicians get paid big bucks to keep them going.
Ooooh I sound like an activist or something...

No they are not switching over next year, the key word in both articles is TEST.

"to Test Gas in Locomotives"

"BNSF Railway to Test Switch to Natural Gas"

Big difference in what your thread header says, you must be a journalist. :)

The key word is "working on". You must be a paralegal :D

Back