BLI...not compatible

G'day all...On behalf of a friend and fellow modeller...He uses ROCO DCC and has a new BLI SD40-2...that refuses to have new address and allows CV adjustment yet it runs perfectly on default settings and has full range of sounds...He also has Bachmann 4 function locos that are a breeze to re address using same system...Do you reckon it's the DCC controller or that
particular loco...Error message 1 comes up not compatible for programming
Any ideas ? Cheers Rod...

Hi Rod.
I have many BLI locos and have no problems programming them on my Lenz system.
You don't say if the Bachmann locos have sound but the BLI sound locos can pull more current than some controllers can provide and therefore show an overload.
The solution may be to fit a resistor in one of the programming wires between the controller and the programming track.
I think that boosters are also available for controllers that cannot provide the current.
Download the QSI manual from Broadway or QSI and you should be able to determine the resistor value for your system.
The manual I have does not list the Roco controller but that may because it may not be common in the USA.
As a Lenz user I use 20 ohms. The resistor should be of sufficient wattage to handle the current. I happened to have some 25 watt resistors which are overkill but do the job.
Hope this helps.

Awesome

G'day Hunslet and all. Thanks for the detailed answer..will tell Paul..
I'm the same I use Roco too,,, Have two BLI unused , still in box SD40-2s
Santa Fe to program yet , so when Paul told me about this, I decided to post a question for him , but also for me later on I suppose.
He has five Bachmann..4 function DCC locos that are a breeze to do but asyou quite rightly assumed....no sound...I'll make sure he sees your answer tonight...Thanks so much from Australia....Cheers Rod..

Just an FYI, BLI has produced 3 versions of the SD40-2. The QSI equipped version, the Blueline version, and the Paragon 2 version. If he has the Blueline, it will not program, as it doesn't have a motor decoder.

G'day again

G'day Terry,,,, Thanks ...No this one is a Paragon 2 loco... His others are
Bachmann Spectrum i think....Only 4 function DCC on board, no sound.
The BLI on default runs perfect....all the sounds....just great but when he tried to re address it and adjust CVs it just comes up with error message 1
Not compatible for programming...via his ROCO Multimaus....
Very strange.....Cheers Rod..

I have an NCE PhPro system, and I just do main line programming with my sound-equipped locos since my programming track can't handle them. Haven't felt the need to run out and buy a programming track booster.

Does your Roco support programming on the main?

G'day Terry,,,, Thanks ...No this one is a Paragon 2 loco... His others are
Bachmann Spectrum i think....Only 4 function DCC on board, no sound.
The BLI on default runs perfect....all the sounds....just great but when he tried to re address it and adjust CVs it just comes up with error message 1
Not compatible for programming...via his ROCO Multimaus....
Very strange.....Cheers Rod..

Okay, if that's the only problem, that it won't program, here's a solution. Write down what you want changed, and what you want it changed to(address, volume level, momentum, etc), and take the engine to a friend or hobby shop that has a DCC system other than what you have, and let them program it for you. It may mean a 50 or more mile trip for you, but will stop the frustration and let you enjoy your engine.

G'day Terry

G'day Terry...Maybe next time Paul is in Hobart he can take it to McCanns
to see if it's okay... or try addressing it on someone else's system..I use ROCO too...so that's probably the same..or....We're visiting a train show this weekend...maybe it's worth taking it along to that.....Thanks Cheers Rod

Back