BLI J1E Hudson

pdqtimetrialer

I have an old BLI J1E Hudson I bought used. The pilot truck has the propensity to derail and looks like it is missing a piece or two. Does anyone else have one of these, and if so, could you post a picture of it? BLI no longer offers spare parts but maybe I could fabricate something if I knew what to make.

Thanks.
hudson pilot truck 3.jpg
hudson pilot truck 1.jpg

It looks like it's all there. Just make sure the wheels are in gauge, and there is nothing interfering with the truck assembly and wheels, as far as movement.

I am not familiar with this model. The Mantua Hudson's four-wheel lead truck has transverse slot between the two axles, and a machine screw that goes into a tapped hole in the bottom of the cylinder block. This allows the truck to not only pivot, but slide sideways. A helical coil spring made of very light piano wire fits over the screw, providing downward pressure on the truck. It appears that this truck only allows the truck frame to move sideways, but doesn't allow the truck itself to rotate. One thing to check is to be sure there is clearance between the wheels and the insides of the cylinders. On some of my Mantua Hudsons, it was necessary to grind or file the insides of the cylinders to allow the wheels to clear. Perhaps this will help or give you some ideas.

The curves on my layout are 22-24" radius. Should there be a spring on the pilot truck? The only thing keeping it on the track is its own gravity. It can pivot freely left and right, and quite a bit up and down. Any extra washers around the screw?

I have two models of the NYC Hudsons from BLI, the original Paragon and one of the Paragon 2 versions. Both engine trucks show a mass between the side-frames, or an insert. My Paragon 2 has a copper leaf spring affixed to the top of the insert.

I have two models of the NYC Hudsons from BLI, the original Paragon and one of the Paragon 2 versions. Both engine trucks show a mass between the side-frames, or an insert. My Paragon 2 has a copper leaf spring affixed to the top of the insert.
The old, original ones, of which I think the above is one had nothing there.
I may be the only one to remember, but they had a sort of "deal", where you could trade one in, and get a credit toward one of the newer ones.

I like the idea of adding extra mass and a spring to improve traction. I'll see what I can fabricate. Thanks

Late response, as I have been off the forum for a while. I have used aluminum sheeting, cut small to size with a small hole drilled for the screw which connects the truck to the chassis. One end fits the screw, to connect it between the truck and chassis, with the overall shape being long and rectangular...except the end with the crew is tapered to allow pivoting. From the side it will be curved like a "S" or maybe "C", using trial and error to find the right shape and down force that pushes down from the chassis onto the front two wheels of the lead truck. Once the loco is on the track you can't see the aluminum piece at all, but it gives the effect of a spring which forces the front of the truck against the track. Too much bend and force in the aluminum will lift the drive wheels off the track, so just find the right bend and your problem is solved.

Back