BL2 EMD MYSTERY CONNECTOR ?

DJL

I have been trying to find out what this BL2 connector/bar/stanchion is used for. Looking at various pictures of BL2s some have this bar, some have what appear to be ditch lights, etc.

Any ideas would be welcome. I plan to update a BL2 P2K and need to know if this is a light bar or something else. A photo is enclosed.

Attachments

• BL2 FRONT LIGHTS MAYBE3.jpg
    BL2 FRONT LIGHTS MAYBE3.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 203
It's a double MU stand. 1 plug is active, the lower is not. It's for leaving the MU cable in place if you didn't want to disconnect it completely after you dis-connected the engine in front.

Thanks. In looking at MU connectors and cables, it turns out that the receptacle covers on the loco and the correct cables are color coded to identify function. MU control has a black cover, and the communication receptacle has a blue cover, while the dummy has a yellow or white cover. See the attached.

Attachments

• MU DS_1-1773930-6_MU27P_Flyer_518.pdf
    398.5 KB · Views: 169
Keep in mind that the catalogs reflect contemporary usage, while the BL2 in your initial post was a 1325 HP predecessor to the EMD GP7. Back in the day MU receptacles were generally painted in the dominant color of the locomotive, as there was no need to designate between HEP cables, control cables and communication cables.

Boris

Thanks for the insight. From what I've read the BL2 era (~1948) was the early days for MU technology.

Back