Big Train Show, Big Disappointment!

Brakeman Hal

Wife & I went to the Big Train Show at the Fairplex today at the big Los Angeles County Fairgrounds, and after spending $32 for parking and admission, and several tours around the vast exhibit hall, I saw nothing but Lionel 3-rail Layouts and Equipment in boxes, as well as HO, N, and LGB Layouts, Engines and Cars in boxes, but not a single foot of O-Scale 2-Rail Track or Engines or Cars in that scale!

It almost makes me regret taking down my HO layout and replacing it with an O-Scale 2-Rail railroad...

This Fairgrounds is where the UP Big Boy was on display for many years before it was taken to Cheyenne for rebuilding.

Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
Wife & I went to the Big Train Show at the Fairplex today at the big Los Angeles County Fairgrounds, and after spending $32 for parking and admission, and several tours around the vast exhibit hall, I saw nothing but Lionel 3-rail Layouts and Equipment in boxes, as well as HO, N, and LGB Layouts, Engines and Cars in boxes, but not a single foot of O-Scale 2-Rail Track or Engines or Cars in that scale!

It almost makes me regret taking down my HO layout and replacing it with an O-Scale 2-Rail railroad...

This Fairgrounds is where the UP Big Boy was on display for many years before it was take to Cheyenne for rebuilding.

Brakeman Hal
Yes, it seems strange that in HO, 3 rail was abandoned almost totally as soon as possible, certainly in the non euro markets, whereas O still has a strong following. The Lionel around the Christmas tree has spread it's influence far. My club has managed to scratch together a reasonable amount of old Hornby Dublo 3 rail track and trains for a show layout (classic 4 x 8 table top) to show the "how it used to be" "how far we've come" theme.

Last train show I went to was majority Lionel and American flyer stuff as well. Did find a couple of vendors with other stuff, but was disappointed with the last one as well.

O scale two rail doesn’t appeal to the train show crowd too much. Too expensive, and a smaller following. Narrow your focus to prototype modeler meets and the NMRA national. You’ll see O two rail there.

Those train shows shouldn't even be charging admission !! It's a big advertising gimmick where they should pay you to visit....Even if this is not the central mission it should be a free exhibit sponsored by both the manufactures and the private clubs to boost interest in the hobby in general.
You got UTube Vids, forums, magazines, train stores (what's left of them), private and club layouts to engage with.. I learned a long time ago I didn't need train shows which cost $$ to park and $$ to get into, with all the aforementioned available. (Yes there are club dues. But it's your club you're supporting )...M

Those train shows shouldn't even be charging admission !! It's a big advertising gimmick where they should pay you to visit....Even if this is not the central mission it should be a free exhibit sponsored by both the manufactures and the private clubs to boost interest in the hobby in general.
You got UTube Vids, forums, magazines, train stores (what's left of them), private and club layouts to engage with.. I learned a long time ago I didn't need train shows which cost $$ to park and $$ to get into, with all the aforementioned available. (Yes there are club dues. But it's your club you're supporting )...M

You don't like much of anything, do you?

Instead, It's looking like you don't read very well, do you ? And, shouldn't you be accusing the OPer of that as well ?
You're inciting a flame out and I'm not going any further in this thread, due to it, thank you..M

Having organized a few NMRA train shows I can tell you this: Those venues, the fairgrounds, the exhibit hall, whoever owns it, they don't care about promoting the hobby. They want to rent their space. So the show promoters have to pay for the hall, if its a big one and they want to serve refreshments, they often have to guarantee the vendors a minimum revenue, i.e. if the gate is poor and the minimum isn't met, the promoter writes a check to the vendors. Then there's advertising, so people know what's up. That can get expensive. The dealers pay to be there, and often the layouts have to be paid. Clubs don't always pack up their modules, layout, whatever, and truck it to the show for free. They have expenses too. The hall needs paid for so the dealers and the gate hopefully make enough to take care of that and generate some profit but it isn't big money, at least not always. Bad weather on your weekend can make the difference between success and failure. Sometimes you can find some good deals, and make up the price of admission & parking and sometimes you don't. Sometimes the show promoters make money and sometimes they don't. There are no guarantees. You pays your money and you makes your choice, or you stay home. Putting on a show is hard work for everyone involved. I've found over the years, even the stinky ones aren't bad. you can always have a little fun.

Back