Better After Market motors for BLI engines?

Y3a

Stuck in the 1930's
I have 2 Y6b's and an "A". moderate running has caused the motors to make noise. The gear boxes and such get a monthly inspection and lubing and they are quiet. Has anyone swapped to different motors on these engines? I guess this is typical of the shoddy plastic choo-choo world?

Yep. I've even removed the motors to verify it wasn't the gear boxes grinding. sounds like the brushes against the commutater. I think it may be from running forward too much...

http://www.micro-loco-motion.com/

Maybe you can get a motor from this fellow? I don't know how the gears and motor shaft are set up in BLI steamers. Ideally the motor shaft can be joined using tubing. Silicon gel can be used to base the motor. Some modification to the chassis might be needed to seat the new motor.

Digitrax has a feature in most of their decoders called Pulse Wave Modulation. This as a smoothing feature that rounds off the square power waves going to the motor thus making it quieter. I thought BLI had that feature. You may have possibly turned it off as it is an adjustable feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I bought my Y6b's without a dcc decoder because sound gets old after about 20 minutes. I put Digitrax 163's in them and the "A" has whatever sound/decoder system it came with when bought in 2004(?) .

I've built Bowsers and re-quartered them, installed NWSL gear boxes and re-motored them with Red caps, large Dixon and German motors and even put "Helix Humpers" in a few so I am really up to speed on steam engine drive trains. I think I may have to look more closely at NWSL motors and see what I can do. Has anyone got a replacement motor from BLI?

Back