Best way to get that dusty dirt look?

n1vets333

I have been trying my hand at weathering and got pretty good results at rust, sut and grime but I want to give some cars that dusty look that gathers on the bottom half of box cars after some time on the tracks. The look almost looks like a whiteish mist. Could I achieve this without an airbrush? Or is it possible with spray paint? If so what color should I use. I would like to know some techniques for achieving these results.

There's another thread about weathering powders now in this section of the forum that you should read. That dusty look that cars get on the trucks and under frames can best be achieved with chalks if you're just starting out with weathering. If it doesn't look right, you can just wipe it off with a damp cloth and start again. The same effect can be achieved with an airbrush delivering an almost dry mist at a 45 degree angle but, if it doesn't turn out right, you're stuck with it. I used chalks for many years before I got up the courage to use an airbrush for weathering and then only on things that wouldn't break my heart if I ruined...and I ruined more than a few before I started getting it right. :)

What would be the correct color to use as a mist if I decided to try with spray paint. It looks like white but not as brilliant is there a way to get this color with paint?
There's another thread about weathering powders now in this section of the forum that you should read. That dusty look that cars get on the trucks and under frames can best be achieved with chalks if you're just starting out with weathering. If it doesn't look right, you can just wipe it off with a damp cloth and start again. The same effect can be achieved with an airbrush delivering an almost dry mist at a 45 degree angle but, if it doesn't turn out right, you're stuck with it. I used chalks for many years before I got up the courage to use an airbrush for weathering and then only on things that wouldn't break my heart if I ruined...and I ruined more than a few before I started getting it right. :)

I agree with Josh and Jim, chalks are great for your purpose. I'd add, they need to be applied over Dull Cote.

If you want to give paint a shot, use Floquil Dust. It's almost transparent and you can build it up in coats until you get the right look. Whatever you do, don't use Floquil's Instant Weathering. It's way too opaque and one spray will ruin your model.

I think an airbrush is the way to go. I have been looking at the ones listed on ebay. Any suggestions as to what airbrush would fill my needs?

Back