Best 1950's era service station?

Raincoat2

I'm looking for a good mid-1950's service station. Bought one at a train show for $5 but not satisfied with it. What kits have you used, or kit-bashed?

This is a Woodland Scenics kit.

IMAG1042.jpg

20171203_133307.jpg

The gas pumps are not the ones that came with the kit. I used JL Innovated Design pumps decorated for Sinclair.

I model later summer of 1957.

Last edited:
Here are the gas stations on my layout. The Gulf station is a current kit by City Classics. The Standard Oil station is a current kit by Walthers with a separate gas station detail kit that included the canopy over the pumps (detail kit may be discontinued). The Texaco station is an old Heljan kit that was based on an actual building (it was also re-released by other manufacturers). The Union 76 gas station way back beyond the used car lot, is an old Tyco built-up structure from the 70's that was a reissue of an Aurora kit from the early 60's. The Tyco built up station can often be found on E-bay for about $10. The original Aurora kit goes for hundreds of dollars. Any of these stations would be appropriate for the '50's.

gas station.jpg
v10.jpg
gas station 2.jpg
gas station 3.jpg

http://micro-scale.com/ has a bunch. I've purchased two of the Gulf Stations. Neither one of which I plan on using as a gas station. LoL.

I also have one kit by Banta. Bar Mills also has two available. It all depends on the look you are going for.

I would have really liked to have gone with a Texaco station. We had one not too far from where we lived. There wasn't much of a choice in gasoline brands back in the 50's for Montana, and still not many today. Vehicles and details for Sinclair were available so I went with them.

Gas brands back then were Sinclair, Texaco, Esso, Standard and Conoco. Less today. Texaco left in the late 70's. What we have now with the exception of extremely few independent stations are Exxon/Mobil, Sinclair, Conoco and Cenex.

Last edited:
Good choices. The gent pulling the Airstream trailer trying to pull in at the Standard Oil station may have a problem clearing the pumps when he pulls in! We used to have a station like the Texaco on S. Colorado Blvd. and Alameda Ave. in Denver. Except for you people in Oregon, who recently got self-service approved, do you remember when a service station actually provided service? And there were only two grades of gasoline...Regular for 23.9 cents a gallon and Ethyl for 25.9?

All - thanks for the tips.
Jim - I like your mini-scene of guys pushing their car into the gas station. Don't see any girls in the car, though ;)

I'm sure this one isn't what you're looking for, but over 50 years ago, this little Shell station was a common sight on HO scale layouts. It was made by Faller and marketed in the U.S. both by Faller and the Atlas brand. Now after decades of being out of production, Faller is bringing back the kit in September.
https://www.walthers.com/shell-gas-station-fa9238

Good choices. The gent pulling the Airstream trailer trying to pull in at the Standard Oil station may have a problem clearing the pumps when he pulls in! We used to have a station like the Texaco on S. Colorado Blvd. and Alameda Ave. in Denver. Except for you people in Oregon, who recently got self-service approved, do you remember when a service station actually provided service? And there were only two grades of gasoline...Regular for 23.9 cents a gallon and Ethyl for 25.9?
There is still one station here in Lincoln that has at least one full service pump. That station also has self service for a lower price. A lot of older drivers appreciate the full service pump.
I remember the attendant checking the tires and oil while he filled up my moms car. Seems like a long time ago. It was only 45-50 years ago............

I'm sure this one isn't what you're looking for, but over 50 years ago, this little Shell station was a common sight on HO scale layouts. It was made by Faller and marketed in the U.S. both by Faller and the Atlas brand. Now after decades of being out of production, Faller is bringing back the kit in September.
https://www.walthers.com/shell-gas-station-fa9238

Jim - That is a nice one. I think I would leave the German wording off, though, but if it's coming back in September, I'll consider it. thanks for the info and the link.

Back