Bell Ringers

N

NP2626

Did diesels have mechanical bell ringers instead of man operated rope pulls to ring the bell?

Yes, usually air operated.
I tried rebuilding the mechanism on a loco I ran but never got it right.
Had to pull the valve up and down to get it to repeat.

Since 2005 aren't most newly manufactured diesel locomotives using electronic bells and the years prior pneumatic operated bells?

Greg

Last edited:
I thought this was going to about those guys who ring a bell out front of WalMart. I usually just tackle them then pick em up and tell them I thought they were somebody else.

Since 2005 aren't most newly manufactured diesel locomotives using electronic bells and the years prior pneumatic operated bells?

Greg

Yes. May new engines do not have brass bells anymore but an electronic speaker "bell". Some railroads are retrofitting older units with E-bells as well when they get shopped or rebuilt.

There may be some that still specify brass bells, but the E-bells are becoming pretty common.

This question was asked, so that I would know if bell pulls ropes should be installed on the bells of my transition era diesels. The answer from post number 2 was NO!

This question was asked, so that I would know if bell pulls ropes should be installed on the bells of my transition era diesels. The answer from post number 2 was NO!
And OK, but why should that end an interesting general conversation about bells on diesel locomotives? I did not realize many had gone to electronic speakers, and I am in the industry.

Last edited:
Who is saying the conversation needs to end? I just added more information; so, people would know what I wanted from the conversation.

Back