Baltimore&Ohio P7 class, CAD model update: 04/18/24 Boiler start

Kylemaneti95

Hey guys, a few months ago I had to put my historically accurate Morrison Colorado layout on the backburner, mainly because of space issues and needing to move before starting actual construction. Since then I have started a much larger project, both in terms of scale and complexity.
October 1st 2023 I started working on CAD models of a 1:12 scale live steam locomotive. The Baltimore and Ohio p7 class, specifically the first loco in the class #5300 “President Washington.” The drawings I am working from were done up by Doug Alkire, I’ll post a link shortly to take you to the drawing set.
I currently have over 300 parts modeled so I’m quite far into the model and will be posting some of the highlights from the last few months to show the work I’ve gotten done so far.
I have not started on anything above the frame of the locomotive or tender, but I’m getting closer everyday.
Anyway, here is a picture dump showing some of the stuff I’ve gotten done already, I hope you all enjoy 😊

IMG_0806.jpeg
Brake&Suspension rigging for locomotiveIMG_0805.jpeg

IMG_1249.jpeg
IMG_1250.jpegIMG_1264.jpeg
brake rigging for lead truckIMG_1265.pngIMG_1484.png
Nathan Lubricator

Thanks guys, I’ll be posting more in the future. There’s still a bunch more to model so I will wait until I’ve gotten most of the tender done for my next post.
Id like to mention my intentions for this model. I am planning on 3d printing nearly the entire model in 1:12 scale to make a large 5” gauge display model. I will be lifting the driving wheels off the tracks by a small amount to allow a motor to operate the wheels and motion work. I also plan on adding lights, smoke and sound. Another thing I’m planning on doing is making a 1:32 scale version that runs on g scale track. I’ve been working a lot with Mike at llagas creek railways and he has been a very big help with some of the work I have posted above.
Now for the real world side of things lol. I have brought one of my two Ender 5 printers out of storage, cleaned and did maintenance to bring it to like new condition in preparation to the work I will be doing to my printer. I have ordered a new mother board that will allow smother and quieter operation, a touch screen display to replace the stock display and a filament blockage sensor. I am also going to add an exoslide kit to the motion work to help stabilize everything and help reduce future maintenance. I am also adding dual z-axis kit to the printer as well. As the printer comes the z axis moves up and down supported only on one side. This can and does affect print quality because the print bed can move side to side as it moves down, it can also flex with heavier models. The dual axis z kit will solve that issue. After all this is done I should be ready to start tuning the printer and hopefully some of the main components of the locomotive. I will likely start with smaller sub assemblies and place those into storage until we move into a larger house, which should be happening in the next few months.
That’s all for now, if anyone has questions I’d be happy to answer them. Hope your all doing well, Kyle

I am going to be printing nearly everything out of plastic, I haven’t figured out what type’s specifically as of yet. This is going to be a very large 1:12 scale display model based off of drawings for a live steam loco in the same scale. Overall the locomotive design will be very similar to the original live steam version from the 60’s but will not actually run. Hope this helps clear up any confusion kriegslokBR52

I’m doing 1:12 to begin with mainly for a couple of reasons. First, I’ve always been a rivet counter and have wanted a large scale live steamer since I was a small child. Second, live steam locomotives get extremely expensive to produce, especially factoring the purchase of machine tools/ equiptment and everything else that comes with live steam. I won’t really ever be able to afford all the costs of live steam, and I definitely won’t ever have the room to operate.
I am also planning on making a working 1:32 version which will be track powered. There is also some stuff I’m working on for 1:32 scale but I can’t exactly give away what that is yet… lol

20230623_224417.jpg

Cool, another "King Gauger" on the forum. This is in pieces right now as i've been on and off with it. Ty2 Polish steam, actually a war locomotive BR52 what the Germans were building in thousands to keep the russian campaign going through the winter. I'm learning this as i go along also, and lastly i was stuck with machining new tires out of a steel pipe😆.

i love the Kreigslok locomotives, I remember seeing what I think was a br52 at a museum in Germany when I visited with my family in 2014. It was really cool, they had the locomotive lifted off the tracks a small amount so you could insert a coin into a machine and it would cause a sound system to start playing the sound of the locomotive while the wheels would turn. That’s what I’d love todo with the 1:12 display model.
That is a very impressive locomotive, is it from a kit? I’d love to get some smaller size machine tools in the future hopefully lol. I’ve also been looking at the 1:35 scale kit of a BR86 made by trumpeter, I might purchase that kit in the next few weeks but it would still be a few months before I started assembly

This is completely scratch built, but as you can see no where near finished yet. Last year i purchased a mini lathe ($1000 with shipping and handling), and i've been teaching myself how to use it. And like you said, these types of tools are expensive. The Trumpeter kit might be a little off with details. I've read several relations about putting together their BR52 kit, and that has several mistakes in it.

Hell yea dude! Your model is looking fantastic, keep up the hard work ❤️
Machine tools definitely do get pricey, but good quality tools aren’t cheap that’s for sure. I took a machining class in highschool for a couple of years so I’m familiar on the operation of mills and lathes, but it’s been about 7 years since I’ve touched anything like that unfortunately. What lathe did you get? I’ve considered the sherline machines on numerous occasions. A small sherline lathe and mill would definitely help with some of the parts for the p7’s lol

That’s also what I’ve been noticing with the trumpeter kits as well. I’ve been watching some assembly videos on YouTube and have seen this mentioned before, as well as some fitment issues when using the photo etched detail parts that you can get separately

It's not a Sherline, some Chinese job. I'll send a picture when i get back home. But the great part is, it's large enough for me to do express passenger locomotive size tires for One Gauge.

Okay I gotcha, when I graduated high school I bought one of the cheaper lathes from harbor freight but, life did a complete 180 on me shortly after and I lost it unfortunately. That’s good that it’s large enough todo the tires on gauge one. That’s one thing I’m worried will happen if I order a lathe, you definitely run out of room pretty quick lol

Yeah i thought about Harbor freight lathe. Mine is a little better quality. Nice to have machining classes in HS. Now days you have to pay for something like that.

From what I remember the harbor freight lathe was not terrible, I just had crummy tools and not a lot of material to practice on when I had it. I’m not sure if they still offer it. I graduated ten years ago now, the class I took was through a trade school, they would allow high school students in at 10th grade if I remember correctly and still cost a bit of money, mainly for materials etc. I don’t think the cost was to terrible, I think it was around 1500 a semester but I could be wrong about that lol. They really should have more classes for the trades imho. I mean hell, someone could put themselves into hundreds of thousands in debt for a degree that likely won’t get them anywhere, or they could spend a very small fraction of that, learn a trade and likely have a good paying job before they even graduate

Back