Ballasting/weathering track....what about re-railers

Scotto, the first thing some 92% of us see is a 'grade crossing' when we glance at a, say, Atlas rerailer.. You don't need to have these in your track. There are portable ramp types you put onto straight track, anywhere, to land cars onto the rails..But, yes, treat the in-track type as if a grade crossing for autos and pedestrians, and where gates may be present, too. Personally I enjoy 0-5-0-ing equipment on/off rails.. M

Scotto, the first thing some 92% of us see is a 'grade crossing' when we glance at a, say, Atlas rerailer.. You don't need to have these in your track. There are portable ramp types you put onto straight track, anywhere, to land cars onto the rails..But, yes, treat the in-track type as if a grade crossing for autos and pedestrians, and where gates may be present, too. Personally I enjoy 0-5-0-ing equipment on/off rails.. M
We have a few club members who can place a 6 axle diesel on the tracks single handed, first one truck, then the other, every time. There's a knack to everything, with enough practice.

I'm with Chet in that I don't use them at all. And I have a LOT of track. If your trackwork is good you shouldn't need them.

We have a few club members who can place a 6 axle diesel on the tracks single handed, first one truck, then the other, every time. There's a knack to everything, with enough practice.

Its been said that a Z scaler's senses are so keenly developed that they can actually throw an O scale locomotive from across the club room and get six out of eight drive wheels correctly on the rails!

Well, that's easy for them ! But what about when wheels don't have flanges ?? ! Then what's he supposed to do ! ! ? Huh ? What ?!!....What if a steam engine has all blind drivers and no pilot or pony trucks ? Then what are we supposed to do ?!! See what I mean ? Bet ya didn't think of that scenario !!

conflicted cereal killer

Like many others, I don't have any re-railers planned for my layout either. Although, considering I am in N Scale, it might not be a bad idea to incorporate one or two some where.

As to where to put them and how to treat them, I'd have to say to place them some where on a straight section of track that is easily accessible and to view them for what they are, an aide to getting your trains on the tracks.

When it comes to re-railers on the layout what do you guys do to them on your layout?
Generally don't use them. I've only actually seen them re-rail things about 30% of the time. In the old days I've pulled many a derailed car across and it came out the same on the other side.

Having said that, I used 3 of them for grade crossings on the Louisville Railroad I just built.

As I mentioned, I have no rerailers, but they don't make them for code 70 track anyway. Still wouldn't use them.

I bought 5 and don't often use them to re-rail, I use em as grade crossings. I found I can get em back on just as easy with/without em as they come off. usually "operator error" not my trackwork that causes de-railments...LOL

Back