Bachmann HO 60806 GP30 w/ DCC, B&O

Bruette

BAC-60806-2.jpg

I am thinking of buying this locomotive.

Does anyone know if this will run with a conventional DC transformer?

Any other advice or experience you can share will be appreciated.

thank you

Louis

This loco will operate on regular DC according to the info on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Trains-Equipped-Locomotive-Baltimore/dp/B000BPO8KM

From the product info;
[h=2]Product Features[/h]
  • The EMD GP30 DCC Equipped Locomotive is easy to use and affordable, you can digitally control speed, lighting, and direction, compatible with all NMRA-compliant DCC systems
  • Main track programming, 28-step speed control
  • All wheel drive, can motor, die cast chassis, E-Z Mate Mark II couplers
  • Compatible with conventional DC powered layouts
  • Locomotive performs best on 18" radius curves or greater

"compatible" means read the instructions. To my knowledge, Bachmann doesn't use dual-mode decoders, so you likely need to remove the decoder and install the bypass block, which is usually included.

I have 2 of those Bachmann GP30's. One is an undecorated; DCC ready, meaning it is only DC but can accept a DCC board. Of course it runs just fine on DC. The other is an EMD demo unit with DCC on board. My layout is pure DC and the EMD ran fine right out of the box. I have also run it on a neighbor's home layout that is all DCC and it ran fine that way also. No switches to wiggle or wires to change when going from DC to DCC and back again. I have several other Bachmann Spectrum DCC on board locos and they all run good on DC or DCC. Nothing to remove or plug in when going from one mode to the other except to program the DCC throttle address to 5 which I believe is the default address assigned to the Bachmann DCC's. The DCC address has no effect on the loco when you return it to a DC layout. Just drop it on the track and go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one of their DCC onboard diesels, and it ran good on straight DC. it ran better on DCC, but it ran good on DC.

"compatible" means read the instructions. To my knowledge, Bachmann doesn't use dual-mode decoders, so you likely need to remove the decoder and install the bypass block, which is usually included.

I have a total of 10 Bachmann engines with "DCC on Board" and they all run on DCC as well as conventional DC. This includes a GP30 low-end unit, 2 RS3's, and 7 F7 units (A&B). I'm not sure where you got your information, but it just isn't correct. The RS3's and F7's use Tsunami decoders as well.

First hand knowledge, that's the stuff!
Thank you very much!
Louis

Happy to help you Louis. If you like the one off looks of a GP30 I don't think you'll go wrong with the Bachmann with a list price of under $80 as compared to way more than that for a Proto GP30 with DCC. I change out the Bachmann plastic knuckle couplers for Kadee #148 which are a direct fit. Otherwise its just take it out of the box and put it to work after a short break in period. Enjoy yours.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate all the help.

I have always had a HO train under my charismas tree, but I did not learn much about the hobby from that.

I got into the hobby full time last October with Lionel O gauge and there is a ton of great information about that from Lionel.

I required and restored all my old HO Christmas Trains, Tyco and Life-Like, but the little guys are dwarfed on my Lionel layout. They deserve a dedicated Layout and that is my next project after I finish my grandsons Lionel layout.

The more I learn about HO, I realize the more there is to learn and it's not easy to find good published information like it is for Lionel. Finding this forum has been fantastic! I ask a question and a day or 2 later I get great answers and detailed first hand information! I still love my Lionel but I am having lots of fun learning HO.

I found the "Bachmann HO 60806 GP30 w/DCC, B&O" for $44.99 http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-60806-RTR-GP30-B-O-Capital-6936-p/bac-60806.htm that is my local train store so I won't even have to pay shipping. It's sounds like a found a winner. I am planning to add a second HO track to check out all the dcc buzz, but I don't think I will ever completely get rid of my dc, my old Christmas trains are so special to me.

Again, as always, thank you everyone for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience with me. I can not begin to tell you how much I appreciate it! You HO model railroaders are the best!

Louis

I have a total of 10 Bachmann engines with "DCC on Board" and they all run on DCC as well as conventional DC. This includes a GP30 low-end unit, 2 RS3's, and 7 F7 units (A&B). I'm not sure where you got your information, but it just isn't correct. The RS3's and F7's use Tsunami decoders as well.

I've got four Bachmann DCC locos (HO), one a Spectrum model. Of the four, three came with little pins to put in in place of the DCC decoder. The fourth came with the EZ Command set, and doesn't have a separate decoder board.

I've got four Bachmann DCC locos (HO), one a Spectrum model. Of the four, three came with little pins to put in in place of the DCC decoder. The fourth came with the EZ Command set, and doesn't have a separate decoder board.

I'm not arguing with you at all. My point is this, all of the Bachmann units I have can, and do, run on both DC and DCC systems. My GP9 came with the bypass chip that I think you are alluding to. However, it was not/is not necessary to use. If you look at the CV's, one can be set so the unit can be run on both DC and DCC systems, or DCC only. I set my units to be able to run on both which is the factory default. From reading, the bypass chip is intended for older transformer DC setups.

G'day Louis...I have two of these, exactly the same , except Santa Fe, paint of course....Not running DCC.... but used to run superbly DC... In fact I reckon
Bachmann are much maligned manufacturer..All up I have 14-15 of their locos and not one has ever given grief...In DC...there is a slight jerkiness at low throttle
and a bit noisier than Athearn RTR etc...but not enough to cause any issues ...and they're extremely well priced...even Spectrum aren't dear really..Cheers Rod..

I just got a Bachman DC 63502 GP 40 Santa Fe red and silver, I got it off of eBay for $13.35 including shipping and It runs good. I don't know how old it is but it looks like it has never been out of the box so I have to break it in.

I still have to get out to model train stuff to get the new one. I will let you guys know what I have to do with the by pass, I could not find any information on the Bachman web site either way. form what I have seen they have so many different tiers of locomotives. I bet they have both types, some need the by pass and others don't.

thanks everyone!

Louis the newest Bachmann catalog I have is from 2011. The 63502 is not listed but they do list a GP40 Santa Fe in blue and yellow freight scheme as 63504. Not any help to come up with an exact age for yours however all of their GP40s in that 2011 listing run in the number series 63501 - 63512 with some numbers not being used and are DC with a 2011 retail price of $52. It would appear your GP40 might not be very old and for $13.35 delivered to your door and running well I'd say you got a good deal. Break that baby in and put it right to work!!!

Thank you Mike, I appreciate your research and I agree with your assessment! I found a 63502 on the model train stuff web site it was blue and yellow and out of stock. Could have been an old listing never deleted. Mine has a $25.95 price sticker on the box but no date code or store name. Being this is my first Bachman I have nothing to compare it to. Compared with my Tyco and Life-Like locomotives it seems to be more modern then they are, but they are from the 70's and 80s. The 8 wheel drive does work nicely, the knuckle couplers work great and most importantly, I like it!

Knuckle couplers means it is at least from a modern run. I think Bachmann went to knuckles about ten or so years ago.

put it to work after a short break in period.

I just bought a new Bachman GP38-2, Wisconsin Central, which also said DCC in the ad, but I will be running it DC. Really great to get the full scoop here, just wondering how does the break in work?

This is just the second new loco I have purchased in my life, and I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas as it is shipped via US mail.

I have seen a lot of white with red lettering Wisconsin Central gondolas hauling pulpwood over the years, and am anxious to put the locomotive to work.
Hey, Louis, it is great to have you on the site.

logandsawman

Break in is pretty simple. Run the engine by itself at various speeds in both directions. For example 2 or 3 minutes in each direction slowly and then speed it up some and repeat the runs, etc. No need to run it at full blast LOL. My RR has a couple of 3% grades which I feel helps more than all flat track as it will vary the load against the motor and drive train at a given set throttle speed. After about 10 minutes of solo break in and I am satisfied with the performance I add a few cars and run it some more. I've found Atlas engines consistantly need little if any break in and the latest Proto 1000 & 2000 don't either. No matter the brand I still run a new engine solo through the entire RR just to be sure nothing needs any tweaking or has any truck binding or other clearance issues.

Back