Bachmann 2-6-6-2 DCC Decoder replacement

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

RJDaPirate

Anyone know of a good sound decoded that I can replace the OEM DCC decoder with? Also do anyone have advise on installation of said replacement controller?

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Tsunami heavy steam or Tsunami Southern steam, depending on whistle and a few other factors.

RJDaPirate

Love it

Any experience wiring it. Bachmann was really smart and only has 6 wires going to the decoder and their are all black. :(

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Does it have an 8 pin plug in the tender? If so, simply get a TSU 1000 (it has a 9 pin connector), remove that bundle of wires with the connector, and get a 9 pin to 8 pin harness, and plug it in. Solder a speaker to the two purple wires, and put the shell back on the tender. If the engine runs backwards from what it should and the headlights don't work, unlug the 8 pin and turn it around 180 degrees.

RJDaPirate

Unfortunitally, Bachman was too smart and soldered the wires directly to the light board. I'll upload a picture this eveing.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
I have one that came factory equipped with a Tsunami. Maybe we can compare your photo and my photo, and see what goes where. Maybe.

Espeefan

Don't you love when they do the all black wire thing? :mad: I did this project for a friend where I took the sound board out of a dead BLI 2-8-2 and put it in another model. I had to manually trace each wire and solder a proper colored lead to each the black wires :rolleyes:

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Don't you love when they do the all black wire thing? :mad: I did this project for a friend where I took the sound board out of a dead BLI 2-8-2 and put it in another model. I had to manually trace each wire and solder a proper colored lead to each the black wires :rolleyes:

They had a sale on rolls of black wire...:rolleyes:

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
The plug on mine has colored wires in it, which quickly turn into black wires. I snapped a photo with my phone, let's see if I can upload from it:

NIMT

Soundtraxx Dealer
It's not that complicated. Power right rail, Power left rail, motor + and motor - , light +, light -.
Start with applying power to each rail and tracing that back to the tender, also might have the same power wires connected to the tender wheels too.
Second feed DC power to the remaining 4 wires with one wire connected to a 1K ohm resistor that way if the headlight is LED, that will keep it from getting cooked.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.