Bachman spectrum steam engines

NYSW F45

Looking for some feedback on Bachman spectrum DCC ready steam engines. Specifically the N&W J-class 4-8-4. Does anyone run a spectrum steam engine? How do you like it? pros/cons? Any information would be great. Im just hoping its all positive since today i got my bachman heavy duty flat car and im thoroughly dissappointed.

I've heard good stuff about their steam. I personally have a BLI Blueline that works great.
As to the flat cars, is it the standard Bachman or the silver series? Most of the silvers seem to be better quality.

have no idea on the flat car. It was off ebay and came wrapped in bubble wrap. It has to be the low line. The couplers are attached to the trucks.

I have Spectrum Shay, 4-8-2, 2-8-0, and the detailing is excellent. I did have slight jerkiness with running in all of them but was able to get that out with Tsunami decoders.

I've got the 2-8-0 and it runs fine as long as you give it about an hour's break-in time, running at different speed, forward and reverse. I think they are about the nicest inexpensive steam engines you can get.

I have a few Spectrum Steam, (2)4-6-2, 2-8-0, and 0-6-0 saddle tanker. I lubed them up and they run fine. The 1st 2 have decoders in the and run even better.
Actually I just remembered the Thomas the Tank Engines I have are also Spectrum; "Thomas" 0-6-0, "Percy" 0-4-0, and "James" 2-6-0. They all run very nicely.
They are great engines for the $money$. I got all of them at really good prices, off of Ebay or train shows.

For every bid you win you lose at least two.What really Irks me is when a snipe outbids you at the very last min. with a minimal bid increase.
If Ebay wish to be fair they'd extend the auction a couple of hours when people do that.Grrrrrrr!:mad:

I have one Spectrum steam - a 2-6-6-2 Mallet Mogul with a decoder installed. It runs smoothly and with out any issues. I like the way it looks.

what pissed me off was that at the end of the auction i lost by $1 again to someone with no feedback. i was so pissed.

We run both Spectrums and BLI and love em both..But let me touch on eBay..

Bidding is tricky. You never know how many people are watching the item you are wanting. You can see how many viewed but that dosn't tell who is watching and wanting.
Seller's can not control last minute bidders. If you could, sellers would be able to extend dead lines because they didnt get the price they wanted, ending the extra money eBay gets for reserve listings. The guy who took it for a $1 more didnt just bid one dollar, he summited the most he'd pay at the last min and the bid ended just above your bid. You can do this too. Here's my tip/trick for winning 90% of what you want:
#1 rule "Know what an item is worth/sells for before you bid" Don't over pay because you want it. Unless its not avalible anywhere anymore. You'd hate to spend $90 on and item and walk into a hobby shop and see it for $50 next day!!
#2 "Save watched items in MY EBAY" Don't bid early it only drives up the price. Wait till final day and watch to see if its still in your range. In your MY EBAY click "BID NOW" this sets the page to a special view page where it has its own "refresh" button. This allows you to refresh the ending time faster without refreshing the whole page. (only the time changes and its fast!)
#3 "Bid maximum you'd pay with one min. to go" This will help win 90% of items and not over bid you. It will take things $1 above the guy who just beat you last time...LOL.. And remember, Others know this trick too!..
#4 "Watch things ending soon" Set the view at top for "Ending soonest" Never know who's missing something!
#5 "Try searching for item in different ways" I find allot of items listed in the wrong catagory and no one knows its there!
GOOD LUCK!! Hope this helps you and others!

Just a quick note to add to the excellent advise Bob gave you . If there is something you really want you have to play the game !!!

i agree with you both. But it always seems like im getting sniped and it pisses me off. My father knew of a website that would snipe for you at the last possible second it would bid automatically for you. I got so mad when he told me that.

i agree with you both. But it always seems like im getting sniped and it pisses me off. My father knew of a website that would snipe for you at the last possible second it would bid automatically for you. I got so mad when he told me that.

If you are losing bids to snipers, then your bid isn't high enough! Bid what you are willing to pay for the item when you bid. ePay will automatically increse your bid up to the maximum amout you entered.

BTW...I am a pretty accomplished sniper myself, and I don't use a sniper program. :eek:

Rotor

I can only echo what Rotor wrote. I always bid the very highest price I know the item is worth or what I'm willing to pay (not always the same thing). Then I just sit back and see if I won it. If a sniper comes in at the last minute and takes it for a buck more, that doesn't mean I really would have only had to bid $2 more to get it. The sniper may have been willing to bid $50 or $100 over my max bid. This is how crazy bidding wars get started, when wanting win overcomes your common sense. If I think something is worth $100 and I really want it, my one and only bid is $100. Sometimes I'll get it for $50 if the next highest bid is $49 or sometimes I'll lose it by a buck. That's just the way auctions work.

goodie. i was wondering if that guy would be listing more. I'll have to wait till next weekend. I just bought some stuff offf of ho yardsail a yahoo board.

Back