Bachman J Class

Sweet-Chuck

Hi all.
My dad has a Bachman J class that needs some tlc internally. Any experience out there with this unit? The challenge is apparently removing the shell.

Thanks,
Chuck

I am assuming its the Norfolk & western J class,One thing that MUST be removed to take the shell off is a screw under the cab (back end bottom of loco that the tender draw-bar connects to. I forget if there is a screw in the boiler top/shell, if so that will also need to come out.

JD

Bachmann J Class

My J Class is still my favourite loco, It just looks the part.

j class-1.jpgj class-2 copy.jpg
j class-3.jpgcr

Attachments

• Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-4 J Class N&W loco (N Scale).jpg
    Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-4 J Class N&W loco (N Scale).jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is an N-scale model, there are 2 screws that need to be pulled, one is the screw under the cab already mentioned. There is another screw that is just in front of the pilot truck. Once the boiler is off, there is another screw located near where the valve gear is, coming from the top of the weight. Remove this, and the chassis and weight will separate, and this allows you access to the motor.

My god this forum is AMAZING! You guys rock. I can't wait til I need help tearing into a steamer LOL.

I have an old J class. But, I bought a newer DCC ready and installed DCC w/sound in it.

LOVE that loco. I saw one in person at a run-by in Montpelier near Indiana-Ohio boarder decades ago.

A beautiful beast!

JD

I'm currently installing DCC in a friends N-scale J. That's how I knew about the screws. For some reason I'm getting a short when it is placed on the tracks, so I've screwed up somewhere. That's OK, as I'll get it figured out. Its probably in the pickups somewhere.

Back