Avoid using FedEx if importing to Canada

Genetk44

To all the Canadians, myself included ..... when buying or importing stuff from the USA...avoid using FedEx!!!!!

Use the US postal service or UPS but do not use FedEx to get your stuff shipped to Canada from the US. FedEx, especially FedEx Canada is not the fast,efficient service it was 20 years ago.

I’ve had a package from Trainworld of $330. stuck in the FedEx warehouse in Montreal for 5 days because they claim they need a power-of-attorney to clear it through customs....the first time I’ve ever had that happen in over 20 years. You’ve been warned.

Any courier service including FedEx and UPS sucks internationally with extra brokerage charges on top of everything.

USPS parcel service is really the best option if you can get it in my experience.

FedEx used to be awesome...fast,efficient and customer oriented....guess that all changed when they lost Tom Hanks. As for postal service...US postal service has always been good, unfortunately things can go south a bit when Canada Post gets their hands on the package....I’ve had a couple of things disappear into the ozone with them also.

Fed_Ex is deplorable, unreliable, slow, over priced and 100% disjointed. I don't know about their service to or from Canada or Internationally general but US Domestic is pathetic! The VERY best international service for reliability, speed/efficiency and price I have found is DHL hands down.

As for USPS, I'd take them over FedEx but like any governmental department are about as reliable as well.

Everything I have received UPS has been good and have not (so far) had anything damaged or go astray BUT, that is where I live. Someone who lives on the other side of the country or internationally might have a different experience with them as well.

I have had a few things shipped to Canada from the US. UPS has crazy brokerage fees. FedEx brokerage fees are included in the air shipping. Ground I don’t believe it is. I prefer FedEx from my experience. USPS and Canada Post I have had good results as well. I just priced out shipping a small package from Toronto to Georgia through Canada Post/USPS and it was $23 CDN, quite pricey.

I've had good service from all the carriers. It think the quality of service depends a lot on the local management and their staff. In fact the USPS carrier once brought our trash can up from the road when he delivered a package for me and always places the packages out of sight and out of the weather on the front porch.

Thanks.

Greg

It think the quality of service depends a lot on the local management and their staff.
Couldn't agree more with that statement. Our UPS guy is great while our USPS guy is a total a-hole, Fedex Ground are idiots and apathetic and nothing more than contractors, Fedex Express on the other hand is good. I actually raised an issue with our Fedex Express guy and he grimaced and said that ground was completely different and it's own operation just with the Fedex name.

FedEx used to be awesome...fast,efficient and customer oriented....guess that all changed when they lost Tom Hanks. As for postal service...US postal service has always been good, unfortunately things can go south a bit when Canada Post gets their hands on the package....I’ve had a couple of things disappear into the ozone with them also.

Wilson!!!!

You'd think it was coming from Stalin wouldn't you :)

And yeah, it is the same as airlines. I just booked my son to fly home from Anchorage. Coming he goes via Chicago ... logical. His return to PANC is via KEWR - going south to go north; hmm, yeah - that makes sense. However, I booked my wife to fly to PANC the week before he comes home, to see our other son and granddaughter, and he goes via KORD! Doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know.

Last edited:

And yeah, it is the same as airlines. I just booked my son to fly home from Anchorage. Coming he goes via Chicago ... logical. His return to PANC is via KEWR - going south to go north; hmm, yeah - that makes sense. However, I booked my wife to fly to PANC the week before he comes home, to see our other son and granddaughter, and he goes via KORD! Doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know.

Ha....Sounds like a Government operation!

Nah, if it was government thing you'd you'd spend the week or two prior to departing filling out forms, going to interviews and be subjected to FBI background checks and, despite all that, you still wouldn't get to your destination ... wait - is delta a government sponsored airline? :)

You do know that you can choose which flights and which cities to go through when booking air travel, right? If you just pick the top line, or the cheapest fare, it may route you through unusual cities because those flights and city combinations likely have the most unsold seats for that day of travel.

Think your missing the point but yeah - I do know that after decades of flying. The point is simple here ... be it airlines or shipping companies or whatever, many seem to take, or in the case of flight, offer the least direct routes from point a to point b - that is what makes no sense. It makes even less sense when you DON'T get an option of which route you take, like with shipping companies who dictate them.

Why does a package (using fedex) purchased in Maryland and going to New York (a 5 or 6 hour drive) end up going via Ohio and taking (if I recall correctly) 8 days in transit? Where is the logic and/or common sense in that? From my experience, it seems as though fedex has made taking the least direct routes from point a to point an art form.

Back