Atlas SD35

cncproadwarrior

North of the 49th
Just got an Atlas SD35 from a friend whose father was into MRR but he isn't. It's in the original box and dated 1978! It runs great. Although all wheels drive, the front wheels do not pick up power. Is this normal or is it faulty?

If faulty, what obvious things do I look for and how do I remove the front trucks to repair - I'm an Athearn guy.:D

There are wipers for the front and rear wheels in the truck that pick up electricity on both trucks. A common problem with them is the wire that connects the wiper to the motor breaks loose, and must be resoldered. I would resolder all 4 of them while you're in there. The SD35 is a good runner, as long as you take care of it. The trucks should just unclip from the frame, and pull straight out, IIRC.

Thanks Terry,

While looking closely at the connections, I noticed that one wire was almost broken off near the motor. A quick repair was effected and she runs great.

I still did not manage to remove the trucks to see if all is well in the gear boxes. I do not want to pull too hard to break something. Any other instructions as to how they are removed?

Thanks.

Bernie

Back