Atlas code 100 manual snap switch issues.

chessie_system3

I had made mention of this in another part of the forum. I am building my 5th layout currently. I have meticulously laid my track. Tested it and tested it some more. Made sure everything was smooth and I wouldn't have any issues. Now I've had a reoccurring problem from my last layout to this one. My turnouts have dead spots in them. Right around the frog I lose power. I'll either have my locomotive stall or at least buck on me. It's not all the time. It comes and goes. Of course my turnouts are a mixed bag of issues most modelers complain about. Some are curved through the straight section as well. I don't have any issues with derailments as of yet. I have 11 #4 snap switches on my layout total. Is there a way to solve the power loss in these turnouts?

Justin

Justin - Does it happen at all 11 turnouts? Does it affect all locos? Is it when you enter into the turnout or exit it? Diverging legs or straight legs? Is it the switch rails? stock rails? or what rails? Normal speed or slower switching speed?
"Comes and goes" - sounds like a loose wire somewhere. To resolve this, you may have to add a feeder to the affected legs of the turnouts. Given what I have read regarding your motive power on other threads, it is unlikely that the plastic frog is the issue. You run diesels with all wheel pickup.

Willie

Doesn't happen with all 11. Two right now that I have found. One is on the straight leg. The other is on the diverging route as it is my yard access turnout. Doesn't matter what speed or what locomotive I use. Even my tried and true Atlas Uboat stalls at these switches.

Justin

Best bet is to pull out the trusty multi meter and make sure you have contact everywhere you should. Snap switches love to loose contact to the points. I would check there first.

Back