Atlas Big Layout Book, HO 35, Berkshire Valley Route

Welcome West bound Freight!

In photo 1 you can see that trains on the new Mainline section, after taking the "A & D" siding, now have the second option to take the "bypass" siding.
In photos 2 and 3 notice I employed a new "Pier-Girder" for the addition NEW nine inches of the layout. Luckily I had a couple in my cabinet and it now matches the two I used on the second reverse-track.
In photo 4 you can see I have a little additional wiring to attend to. One of the things I enjoy most about Model Railroading, is the fact that there is ALWAYS something to do; absolutely mandatory when you are retired!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, your wiring problems look like mine. :) Looks like you have a much better grade on the mainline that's on the extension now. As you said, overkill isn't a bad idea. :)

1st New Yard Track Installed (Done)!

The first new storage track has been installed. I made the arc of the half-circle as wide as possible; it's somewhere between a 22" and 18" radius. I know I can get one more inside, but after that I'm going to have to figure something else out. To accomplish this, I ordered more then enough new turn-outs for the task.
I was very pleased when a "handsome" pair of GP35 locomotives showed up and leased the new track for NINETY-NINE years!

THIRD Mainline

Right now I can get 4 good size trains on the layout's two main lines at one time. This scenario leaves two more trains in the yard. I began to think it would be very nice to have another main line, one long enough for possibly 3 addition trains; making a total of 7 trains running at once.
With the new 3 foot section, one Mainline can now be accessed from the East AND West. However, if I want to use this Mainline section I must run into one of the two original figure eighth Mainlines at some point.
My plan is to add a 4 inch X 15 foot platform on the outside of the new 2nd reverse track, close to the window. When complete it will circle the entire layout, independent of the 2 present Mainlines, insuring my future "operating sessions" will be much more interesting.
When I added the 3 foot section at the West end, it moved my "train control shelf" right next to a block cement structure on our Lani.
The first part of the construction of the 3rd Mainline has been complete. The control shelf that housed all my turnout switches and track power supply, has been moves West to clear the obstruction.

3rd Mainline Progress

Progress on the new 3rd line is coming along nicely. If you view the attached four photos, on the East End (first two photos) the turnout that attached the yard's Mainline and East yard entrance are gone. In its place are two separate tracks, the outer will be part of the new 3rd Mainline and the inner will be the separate East entrance to the yard. On the West end (last two photos) I have installed the new turnout, that will enable the 3rd Mainline to operate independently from the two inner figure eighth Mainlines. I also cut out part of the outer 1 x 4 inch board, for the placement of three new under the table Tortoise slow motion switch machines; they will operate one half of the second reverse track, the West yard entrance and the new 3rd Mainline.
Having compromised the strength of the outer 1 x 4, which is now essentially a 1 X 2; I plan to install a piece of 3/4 angle iron along the bottom of the board in the cut out area, to give it back some of it's original integrity.

Progress AND F U N Proceeding

I'm making good progress on my 3rd Mainline. Today, I will probably add the rizers and plywood grade. When I originally planned this third Mainline I was going to make it narrow, for one track, about 2 1/2 inches. If you have viewed my MTH SD70ACe thread, you will notice I'm having a lot of FUN with my two new deisel locomotives. This fun and two new MTH Alco PA locomotives on pre-order, made the widening of this track section to 4 inches (2 tracks) mandatiory; it is where I will park these new MTH locomotives and passenger cars.

Wow - six

When you can run SIX complete trains at the SAME time, on a 4 x 15 foot layout it adds EXCITEMENT! I had an idea of what FUN this 3rd Mainline would bring, but I enjoyed it so much more because of the 2 new MTH locomotives. They are the ONLY locomotives I have that will pull WHATEVER I decide to put behind them at a scale speed of ONE mph! If you want to add REALISM to your layout, run your trains VERY slow.
Extending this 3rd Mainline track width to 4 inches, allows me to place one more track along side this completed one. When that is installed, parts are on order, I will have a lot more options for FUTURE Freight delivery routes. Getting the track right, before you add the scenery and industrial activity, is the ONLY way to go.
One of the reasons I gave up the MTH Alco passenger idea, was the fact there are MANY more HO "working" industries for freight available. I have room for two or three industries on my layout, I want to make sure I have MORE to do than just drop off and pick up freight cars.

Engineering 101

One of the great JOYS of Model Railroading are all the different "hats" we get to wear. I'm a train engineer, a mechanical engineer and an electronic engineer; there is ALWAYS something to do as the owner of a model railroad.
When I removed the turnout that separated the Arrival & Depart track from the yard section of the Mainline, it left the outer new 3rd Mainline track precariously close to the edge of the layout; about one third of the new turnout was hanging over the edge. In addition, I had no place to mount the Tortoise undertable switch machine.
A little imagination combined with Engineering 101 will save the day, for the train engineers that must traverse this new 3rd Mainline section of the railroad!!

I was going to mention that the outside main seemed to be overhanging the layout, but I figured you'd catch up with that problem in time. Looks like the little extension solved the problem nicely.

All Things In Good Time

I was going to mention that the outside main seemed to be overhanging the layout, but I figured you'd catch up with that problem in time. Looks like the little extension solved the problem nicely.
That turnout was always close to the edge, but with the addition of the 3rd Mainline leg SECOND track, it had moved the second track a little OVER the edge of the layout. That and the Tortoise problem all disappeared with the addition.

Side Note: I said I would take $100 PLUS shipping for my Athearn Genesis F45, BN, 6628 w/sound. I've now sweetened the pie by offering it for the same price, BUT with FREE shipping and Insurance.

3rd Mainline In

3rd Mainline - Installed (Done!)
3rd Mainline Spur - Installed (Done!)
3rd Mainline Extra Storage (future development) - Installed (Done!)
The attached two photos will clearly show that progress being made on the Torsney/Grohs Railroad. All that's left for this new section of track is to install the Tortoise under-table switch machines. The holes for the turnout and frog power - Installed (Done!).
I also shorten the spur a little to accomodate a little storage for anything new MTH might come out with.
After a little procrastination and owning two new MTH locomotives for a while, it has ALL become VERY clear. I am not longer going to sell my old MRC Command 2000 DCC controller. Instead it will wired in, as before, to control three DCC locomotives I plan on keeping; an old Atlas RS11, Life Like GP18 and a very old Athearn F7 A@B. I have improved the inadequate factory wiring in the Athearn and Life Like; the Atlas didn't require any. The remaining DCC locomotives will be sold over time and replaced with MTH locomotive as they become available. When I have about five MTH locomotives, I will sell my Prodigy Advance2 DCC controller, for MTH's DCS system.
Thankfully I ONLY have five DCC locomotives to sell, 1-Athearn Genesis F45; 1-Kato SD40, 1-Atlas RS3 and a pair of Kato GP35s (2521, 2522).
Unlike some others on this forum who must have a TON of DCC locomotive power, the transition to MTH for me will be a lot LESS painful.

Under-table switch machines - Installed (done!)

Four new Tortoise under-table switch machines are installed (done!). If you look at the third photo, the mounting of this switch required some Engineering 101. Because it was so close to the frame, I cut off the mounting tabs on one side of the switch machine. To compensate for their removal I used a long enough screw and washer underneath it.
All this extra work still left the switch a little off center. When I had tried on a previous installation, to use the 1/2 inch offsets to the side of the center wire hole, it cause insurmountable problems. These offset holes had the top of the wire moving up about 3/8 of an inch above the rails of the track; making it impossible for anything to pass. Why the company even furnished these holes I can't understand.
When I measured how much off the hole was, it came out to about 1/8 of an inch. Drilling a hole this distance to the right of the Tortoise's center hole, allowed the turn-out to function, keeping the up and down movement of the wire low enough, for cars to pass over it.

Tortoise slow-motion AND Atlas double solenoid switch

I had asked almost a year ago if anyone knew of a circuit, that would allow a Tortoise under-table switch and Atlas double solenoid switch operate together. I never had any replies and kept on looking on the Internet for a solution.
Last week, while browsing I FINALLY found an answer. It is a circuit designed to operate a double-solenoid point switch, with the stored energy from an electronic capacitor. The name of the website is www.talkingelectronics.com and the name of the electronics kit is "CDU2." After emailing the company I was sent a definitive solution to my problem. One side of my new second reverse track, passed over a lower track making it impossible to mount a under-table switch.
If I wanted separate momentary push button switches, I could have use one kit for both sides of the solenoid. Because I wanted both turnouts to operate from one switch, I was required to use two kits (one for each "half" of the solenoid).
In addition to these two CDU2 circuits, I purchased a DP/DT relay to power the "frog" of the Atlas switch. I also needed a 4P/DT switch to operate both turnouts; one half of the switch, 2 poles, for the Tortoise and the remaining two for the Atlas.
After building both kits, I installed the system and it works great! Prior to this circuit the double-solenoids never closer with a snap. After this circuit was installed, it sounds more like a shot is being fired from a gun!
Photo 1 is the DP/DT relay to power the Atlas snap switch "frog." Photo 2 bottom/center is the new 4P/DT toggle to control both turn-out circuits; the wiring to both circuits was in, all that was left was to installed the two CDU2 circuits somewhere and make the final wiring connections. Photo 3 all the final wiring is installed. You can see the switch wiring is complete and the two electronic circuits on inside the lower/right of my control panel. In the last photo, the only two red LEDs are the ones for the second reverse track, with their controlling toggle switch right in the middle.

Wow!!! Can you get up on a ladder and take a top-down photo so I can get an overall feel for the entire layout as it is now? Or, have you drawn a diagram?

Requested Photos

Here are four photos of the layout. The first three are from left to right facing the layout, the last is from theoretical East to West.

Main Yard Improvements

After re-reading John Armstrong's "Track Planning for Realistic Operations," I soon realized one major problem with the layout's Main Yard. All six of the spurs could only be serviced from the East Yard entrance. With limited space, I added five turnouts to the West side of the spurs. I lost a little storage capacity, but with a least one more planned yard, any short comings for this Classification yard could be overcome. Now with five spurs accessible from the East or West yard entrance, the near future "Operations" sessions will prove to far more interesting.

I like! I used to think I had too much track per square inch of table. You have outdone me by a sufficient margin that I now feel that I can add more. :)

Back