Athearn SD-39 Derailing

Success!!! I did go down to the train room and get back to the derailing SD-39 and found perhaps what was the problem. I slowly pushed by hand this locomotive over the section of curve where the loco derails and it when over the the rails smoothly and there appeared to be no problems. I ran it under power and it also ran just fine. I expanded the length of where I pushed the loco by hand and at a rail joiner on a curve the lead truck rose slightly above the outer rail.

I looked closer and one rail at the joiner was slightly higher than the adjoining rail and this section of the track had what would appear to be a super-elevation on the rail that was a bit higher. The rail joiner were for correct for the Code 83 rail I am using on the layout. I file the higher rail down and that seemed to help the problem but I continued on.

I wet some of the ballast around the joiner and removed the ballast and the ties I laid under the section of rail where I previously removed the original ties to install the joiners. Under the rail I found a piece of debris from the ties forcing the rail upward. Once it was removed the rail sat a bit lower.

I was wrong and some how this section of track was a short section with a 18 radius not a 22 inch radius and at the joiners the gauge is slightly under sized. Not sure why this section has the smaller radius.

Now I have two choices:

- Replace a three foot section of flex-track, or

- Correct the track gauge and replace the ties and live with the tighter radius.

I'm working out of a 24 x 24 access hole and have to reach inward to work in area. Its uncomfortable working conditions.

If I replace a section of flex-track I have to remove a bunch of scenery and buildings which is more work than replacing the track. I'll still have that drop in radius even with the new track since I don't want to remove a lot of scenery.

I reduced or worked towards the elimination of that tight gauge of the track. Its funny that only one six axle loco mis-behaved in this area. This track has been in place for over ten years. The problem child is a new Athearn SD-39 and the others are older Life Like and KATO. I remember original problems with this track and I was in a hurry to do repairs since the club was coming over in two nights. I just forgot that I needed to come back and make improved repairs.

Now everything is working much improved. I'll leave the track unballasted for a week and then finalize the repairs. I ran a Life Like and a KATO locomotive and like before run through this section without problems. I also ran a 16 car ore train through this section without problems and I think that when I can I'll run the ore train in the reverse direction.I

Jerome, I think you're correct that some locomotives are fussy about track conditions.

Willie, I'll still work on that lead wheel set after the New Years.

Just thought I let you know my progress.

Greg

Last edited:

Back