Athearn Motor Mount Dimensions

KB02

CALLING ALL ATHEARN OWNERS:

I have been looking around on the web for this and been unsuccessful in my search. Could someone (or someones) measure the motor mount holes on their Athearn locomotives? I am looking specifically for RTR and Genesis Diesel models (I have plenty of BB models to measure).

See the attached file. I am looking for the front to back, side to side and diagonal center to center dimensions.

Attachments

• Athearn MM.png
    Athearn MM.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 186
Anyone willing and/or able to help out on this?
For what it's worth, the BB mounting dimensions are:
A: 10.375mm
B: 12.725mm
C: 16.350mm

Anyone willing and/or able to help out on this?
My first thought when I saw this a while back was, I don't have any Athearn RTR.... but I just remembered, I have a set of Amtrak units. And more bizarre, they just happen to be here in the office with me. I was running them on the company's layout. Just a minute.

10 minutes later...
Without calipers and only a steel ruler looks like:
A: 10 mm
B: 12.5 mm
C: 16 mm
So is that within acceptable measuring variance to call them the same? Sorry can't get a better photo with what I have at my desk..

measaure.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Thank you.
Yeah, I would say that's close enough to be within an acceptable margin of error.
And, just because my brain works in annoying ways, and I did forget to specify, that is an HO Scale model, right?

Awesome! Thank you.
Yeah, I would say that's close enough to be within an acceptable margin of error.
And, just because my brain works in annoying ways, and I did forget to specify, that is an HO Scale model, right?
Yeah, I don't think Athearn does any other scale anymore do they? I think they abandon O-scale in the mid 1960s. I think they tried N-scale after they purchased MDC in the early otts, but I didn't notice it going anywhere.

Back