Athearn Genesis compatible locos

Raincoat2

I run DC not DCC on my small-to-medium sized layout. I like to run two trains at a time. I have a couple of BLI diesel locos and they match each other pretty closely in speed and operation, so I can run them simultaneously. Then I have an Athearn Genesis diesel that has become my most reliable workhorse. Trouble is, I can't run the Genesis plus a BLI at the same time - they don't match speeds one bit. And Athearn doesn't make another Genesis roadname that I would want on my layout (I model NYC and Athearn must have stopped making NYC locos ). Does anyone know of another make or model that would match the Genesis pretty closely so I can run them simultaneously?

I am also a DC operator on my home layout. I doubt that you will ever be able to speed match DC locomotives to DCC locomotives. I have a Genisis F-7 which is an exceptionally smooth running locomotive. It will start moving at about 2 to 3 volts. A DCC locomotive needs around 6 volts just to Wake it up, let alone to get it moving. I have a few DCC locomotives that I run at my club and from mt own personal experience, there's no way to get a Dc locomotive speed matched to a DCC locomotive.

I have a Stawart (now Bowser) locomotive with a Kato drive that is extremely close to the speed on my Genisis unit. They are both F units I use to pull passenger trains.

Sorry

Last edited:
Speed matching is one of the primary features and benefits of DCC. Basically, you have control of your locomotive at the chip that rides in the loco. On a DC layout, your power pack is driving everything on the layout track.

I've struggled with this a few times.In DC or DCC you basically have to stick with the same manufacture.They all don't use the same motors and gearing so they all run at different speeds (I wish they were all standardized) even in DCC.
The DCC does allow you to speed match a little easier using CV's.The best I found i TCS and their audio assist lets you speed match much easier.

My slowest loco is a set of Proto Power SD60s. I use them as the basis of my speed matching. I also use the Accutrack Speedometer to measure the speed of my locos, one at a time through the speed steps. It's a long painstaking process but it's well worth it.

Speed matching in DC is difficult, even with same lots of locomotives. For instance, I have a Genesis GP9 and a Genesis GP9B that do not run well together. They came from the same lot. Same with two Walthers Proto P30s. Not even close. None of these has a decoder yet. The Stewart Fs, (Pre Bowser), run very well together. My Atlas stuff also matches up well. None will match up with other brands of locomotive.

Meanwhile, my best running trio consists of two Atlas C-425s, consisted with a Walthers Proto RS-27. They all have silent decoders and have only run in DCC. They were a perfect speed match right out of the box without any reprograming or fussing.

Johnny, you can always get one lettered Penn Central. ;):rolleyes:.

Boris

All -good information so far (except Boris's suggestion about Penn Central :mad: ). Wish I had bought several Genesis NYCs when I bought the one I have, but didn't know about the speed-matching problem back then. I may have to just keep my eye out for a Genesis NYC on eBay or even on this forum.

(except Boris's suggestion about Penn Central :mad: ).

Johnny: So what's wrong with the Penn Central? :rolleyes:. I remember every gory detail from February 1, 1968 through April 1, 1976, and in retrospect it wasn't all that bad, except for the diversion of revenue. :oops:. Seriously, for some reason Genesis DC GP9s to not run at the same speed. I have a half dozen, (66% PRR), and can only run two together with any success. The seventh is equipped with a decoder, and requires a much higher power level to power up in DC.

You may want to expand your search to Trainworld of MBK, and check their inventories. I remember seeing NYC Geeps somewhere not long ago. I normally don't follow E-Bay.

Boris

If you don't need the pulling power, have you looked into dummies? They are getting harder and harder to find, but they are out there if you look. A local shop near me still has quite a selection of new-old-stock Athearn blue box dummy locomotives and I'm almost positive they have had some NYC units in stock. The detail quality is no where near a Genesis, of course, but if you're into detailing, you can clean them up and make them look presentable for most layouts.

Speed matching locomotives on a non DCC layout is all trial and error. As was stated, sometimes two of the exact same model do not run well together. But do make sure to both test as light engines and pulling a typical train. While they might seem off running without a load, once pulling a train they even out. Just watch the couplers between the units, see if they stay stretched tight, or if the trailing unit shoves the leader. Do with each engine in each position(trailing and leader). Putting a dummy blue box Athearn behind a Genesis will be night in day in detail level and in my opinion, not look good together. About like putting one of my Overland brass diesels with a blue box locomotive. About the most consistant models that ran well together was stuff with Kato drives, from yellow box Atlas diesels to Kato's own HO models that followed, along with the Stewart F units that had that drive as well. Those were the best runners on the club layout for many years, and despite the lack of detailing in stock form, held thier own drive train wise against the Genesis and Proto 2K diesels. Mike

Skyliner and Malletman - thanks for your contributions to the discussion. I located an Athearn Genesis NYC diesel loco on eBay and it's on its way to me now. I am not using these as lead and trail locos on the same train, but to pull separate trains on the same layout. There may be times I use them to work the same consist, but not normally - I like running two trains at the same time, just don't like cleaning up after a crash!!

Raincoat2, I would recommend that the first hour or so of run time with that new unit, needs to be coupled together either as a leader or in trail of your other locomotive. This will, as I have found over the years, help it play better together later on if its broken in while coupled to the other unit during this time. Then running however you want to. Athearn Genesis also run well with later run Overland brass as both use the Buhler motor and very similar gear ratios it seems. Mike the Aspie

Raincoat2, I would recommend that the first hour or so of run time with that new unit, needs to be coupled together either as a leader or in trail of your other locomotive. This will, as I have found over the years, help it play better together later on if its broken in while coupled to the other unit during this time. Then running however you want to. Athearn Genesis also run well with later run Overland brass as both use the Buhler motor and very similar gear ratios it seems. Mike the Aspie

Mike Malletman - Thanks for that tip. Odd, and I never would have thought of it. Will let you know how it goes.

Awsome. This is how we broke in many Athearn Blue box, Proto 2k and Genesis engines at the local club. This was a DC powered layout, 15' by 50'. Obviously with DCC you can do speed matching and solve any differances thru the CV's and MU up anything from anybody. Not so much in the DC world.

As I posted over in the ANPL Coffee Shop forum, I received that Athearn Genesis F3A locomotive I had hoped would match the speed of my other F3A from Genesis - - nope, not even close. In fact, the new engine is the fastest of all my engines - - starts at the lowest setting on the throttle control. Closest engine to it is my BLI diesel, so maybe I can run them at opposite sides of the layout and hope they don't run into each other. Tried "breaking it in" by running it with another F3A from Genesis, but it just wouldn't work. Thanks for the ideas and tips, though, everyone.

If you don't need the pulling power, have you looked into dummies? They are getting harder and harder to find, but they are out there if you look. A local shop near me still has quite a selection of new-old-stock Athearn blue box dummy locomotives and I'm almost positive they have had some NYC units in stock. The detail quality is no where near a Genesis, of course, but if you're into detailing, you can clean them up and make them look presentable for most layouts.

IF money is secondary, you can always convert a quality power unit to a dummy unit if you're really hung up on the detail. Not terribly cost effective, but if appearance is primary and you don't need the pulling power (and most of us don't on home size layouts) and cost effectiveness is secondary, then it's an option.

Back