Asphalt parking lots, what to use?

oplholik

I am wanting to do a Distrubution wherehouse and am wondering what to use fo an asphalt covered lot. I saw small foam sheets at the LHS, but want large sheets so I don't have to piece smaller pieces together. I suppose I could paint the top of the foam layout board, but not sure how it would look. So I'm looking for suggestions to see what you all use for larger areas. Thanks.

Paul

sheet styrene will give good flat surface. I use 400/or higher grit aluminum oxide sandpaper for asphalt roads. They don't need to be as flat so it works well.

I use Woodland Sceics Smooth-It for all my roads, weather there asphalt or concrete, grade crossings too.... I love the stuff, but alot of people have difficulties using it, just takes patients and a few thin coats to get it right and looking like a good used road

ive seen really nicely done road surface with back side up roofing shingles. it is not my work but IMO result is awesome, thats what i'm going to use for my road

karz7a.jpg

I use Woodland Sceics Smooth-It for all my roads, weather there asphalt or concrete, grade crossings too.... I love the stuff, but alot of people have difficulties using it, just takes patients and a few thin coats to get it right and looking like a good used road

Josh, what it this smooth it stuff made of? from what i have seen in your progress pics, i imagine regular joint compound or plaster can be used with very similar results. so why do you preffer it?

Last edited by a moderator:
ive seen really nicely done road surface with back side up roofing shingles. it is not my work but IMO result is awesome, thats what i'm going to use for my road

karz7a.jpg

I know whoose layout this came from, and i do love his roads, he does some nice work :D We know him over at the Gauge forums as "Shaygetz"

Ive tried the sandpaper myself but i didnt like the results. I havent tried the backs of roof shingles however like he used. His roads came out great, especially in that last shot.

Josh, what it this smooth it stuff made of? from what i have seen in your progress pics, i imagine regular joint compound or plaster can be used with very similar results. so why do you preffer it?

The Smooth-It is a powder that you mix with water and apply, then smooth, and when it dries it creates a hard surface that allows you to sand and paint on. Ive heard people call the stuff Foam but i dont know if it really is or not.... It is similar to joint compound, but what i like about this stuff is that i can mix it to whatever consistency i want it to, and its much easier to smooth and create a flat road with this stuff then the Compound is. Ive tried using Joint Compound before, i got some decent results dont get me wrong, but i just like this stuff and have grown to prefer it over anything else for road and yard making lol. Just a personal preference for something i found that i can work with and get some great results from....

Here is a link to my tutorial using the stuff: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11540

Back