Are People on Ebay stupid or something

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I can't speak for everyone...

I like buying junker locos and fixing them up. After the big Athearn sale, I had a eBay bonanza, and bought nearly half of my current fleet from that.

I'm not sure why that happens. There was a BNSF GP60M on eBay that was damaged and missing parts that went for $60. I got one for free from the same seller on a earlier auction.

Phil

There is a nice (lightly damaged) Athearn Genesis SD70 in NS paint going for $15. If I was a NS guy I'd snatch that up. The damage is easily repairable.

I agree, sometimes auctions will just make you shake your head. But after going to a local train show yesterday that looks like a bargain.

Honestly they must hand out crack to about 70% of the vendors right at the door - the prices are way too high and a lot of the used stuff is simply junk.

Then there's scammers - one old guy (who obviously knows better) had a piece o' crap Tyco F7 sitting is a nice shiny new Athearn blue box. One minute he was my best buddy, next minute (when he saw me look at the bottom of the loco) he shuffled away pretty quick. Not to say all train show vendors are hucksters - met a few good guys and made some good mail order contacts. But I feel for the little kids there with their saved up allowance wanting trains and dad doesn't know better - those are the ones this hobby looses to frustration. (Sorry for the rant. :) )

In the end I've had my best luck on eBay. Just gotta know what you're looking for I guess.

Mark

This seller sells alot of damaged units. I keep trying to buy from him but prices keep going way out of reason. I still dont see paying new prices for anything that is broken. I dont blame the seller but it seems to many bargan hunters out there that are willing to pay way to much for something. I would be willing to bet that this engine approches 300 dollars before the auction ends on it.

What vendors will often do is the same as a new car dealer. You take the used car/train and over price it and place it near the new stuff. That makes the new option seem like a better buy. I don't see the reasoning for doing it on-line unless he has an on-line store with new equipment also.

Well Instead of buying this I decided to buy some decoders instead. I am getting alot of engines and only one is dcc equept. I see that on the BLI site they are using the Digitrax DN143IP. I ordered 4 of them Two of which I will use in my BLI engines. I am just wondering if they will work with any of my other engines. The Athearn boards all have the same plug in so I am thinking that these should work in all my Athearn engines as well.

Back