are HO and 1:87 the same thing?

G'day Stoker....Thanks for the explanation on the weight..It'd be virtually be impossible to scale weight , length and width to the same prototypical numbers at the same time then. If it was possible , just imagine needing a decent gantry crane to lift a scale weight HO locomotive but only 8-9" long or so..onto your layout only to see it fall through the floor most likely...and you'd need a pretty good can motor and power supply to move it....Re the HO/OO...thing....With track width being the same , which scale is actually more accurate for standard guage..4 foot 8 and a half inches...by the way...Cheers Rod..

Ah, but don't forget also Rod, that 5/8"-16.5mm is also 3'6" gauge in "S"scale, a very useful track size to have at hand, so versatile.

G'day all...Just did the maths for standard guage..4ft. 8 and a half inches..On NMRA settings HO and OO both use 16.5mm or 65/100ths of an inch track...A standard guage is 1435.1 mm so divide that by 87 and you get 86.97 to 1.....divide 1435.1mm by 76 and to meet prototypical track width and you'd need 18.88 mm track..Looks to me that concession was given to HO as it was easier to adapt to narrower track in 1:76 in the interests of those who model both or a combination..Is that correct ?..Cheers Rod..

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Toot, Shame our politicians dictionary doesn't include the word compromise eh!...Seems to me that OO did the majority of the compromise. I understand the vast majority of OO scalers would be in Great Britain and as it's turned out the single biggest scale is HO..then N , then O I'd imagine..Be interesting to find out in order of numbers across the globe..I bought three OO scale MOL...container cars last year and got them before I realised my mistake..then I ended up with a OO semi trailer , the sellers fault...I can get away with the rolling stock , just , but the truck looks stupidly big so I gave it to a fellow modeller....never again...I'll double check if in doubt next time..Cheers Rod..

Back