Anyone else working from home?

Been working out of my home since '89. Staying in, mostly, except for having a cataract removed and replaced with a plastic lens...yesterday! Eye doctor who did the job on St. Patrick's Day is of Irish descent, so hopefully I'll continue to be lucky! I do plan to limit my outside activities, as will my wife, both of whom are in our 70's. They say, with diabetes, I'm at greater risk for severe complications if I should contract the COVID19.
I'll still take leather orders as long as my current leather supplies hold out.

Working from home, does this count?

TomO (retired 2014)
23DFA044-4525-46C7-9E21-6C8F72398428.jpeg

My day job is considered essential, so we’re still working but at rather reduced hours.
I’m working from home on my side gig, as usual. I’m currently migrating all my domains to a new server. It’s been a challenge, learning all the ins and outs of the new server. Did you know that if a website has php FPM set up, it won’t inherit the default server php config and exec will be disabled? Didn’t know that? Don’t feel bad... 3 different dedicated server IT tech support guys at the new server didn’t either, and they get paid to know this stuff. As for me? A week ago, I would have read that and only had a vague clue what it meant. Now I know.
After diving in so deep I felt like I was hacking my own server, I got things going. My jerk of a boss made me get up at 4 AM when the file transfer completed, decompress it and get the database online and change the DNS so this place would be back asp. As Tony Beets says “Make it happening!”
Now, off for a nap, then I’ll find a mirror and chew my boss out for keeping me up all night . :)

You seem far more comfortable at that diesel engine brake stand then a computer keyboard Bob.
George

That's no diesel. It's the SP&S 700, a 4-8-4. One of the largest steam locomotives in operation, and the biggest one I've ever run. Their engineer is a friend of mine and he let me run a trip one on of the Santa trains. (I'm FRA certified and have run steam for decades, it's not like they let just anyone give it a try...)

As for the computer, well I spend a lot of my time doing that, so I'm pretty comfortable with it. My day job is a lot of admin, accounting, quality control and engineering, so technical work is pretty normal to me.

I just figured it was a diesel Bob. Not many people are a qualified on steam engines these days. I was a fireman on the railroad for 3 days and got called to work the North White Plains yard job. When I got there they told me the engineer works yard B and you work yard A. In 20 minutes your going to add 4 cars to the Grand Central bound train that stops here. I said, what? This is only my 3rd day here. I never ran any engine besides the electric P engine they were using to switch with.

George

I just figured it was a diesel Bob. Not many people are a qualified on steam engines these days. I was a fireman on the railroad for 3 days and got called to work the North White Plains yard job. When I got there they told me the engineer works yard B and you work yard A. In 20 minutes your going to add 4 cars to the Grand Central bound train that stops here. I said, what? This is only my 3rd day here. I never ran any engine besides the electric P engine they were using to switch with.

George

Yes, you're certainly right about that. I've worked for various tourist railroads and the like. Not only do I know steam, I've done something very few people can say they've done. I've extensively run all three kinds of geared locomotives, Shay/Willamette, Heisler and Climax. So I'm definitely not the typical locomotive engineer.

Oh, and if you put me in an SD70? Yeah, I'd be lost, LOL.

After diving in so deep I felt like I was hacking my own server, I got things going. My jerk of a boss made me get up at 4 AM when the file transfer completed, decompress it and get the database online and change the DNS so this place would be back asp. As Tony Beets says “Make it happening!”
Now, off for a nap, then I’ll find a mirror and chew my boss out for keeping me up all night . :)

What a jerk! Thanks for all you do to keep this forum up. As an IT professional who hosts multiple sites I know what you are going though.

What a jerk! Thanks for all you do to keep this forum up. As an IT professional who hosts multiple sites I know what you are going though.

Thanks! I pretty much picked the wrong time to do it, the web host is dealing with COVID-19 like everyone else, and so they're a bit short handed. Then of course you get some who are experts and some who have no idea what's wrong. "Have you tried the php.ini editor?" Yes, yes, I have, many times. The setting I was looking for was on a server level, set up above what a domain level user can get to, so that if I was to set the server up as a reseller, the end user couldn't just go in and say "well, I'll turn that function on for myself".

As usual with these problems, finding out what was happening took days. Fixing it? 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, can I just call you in two years when I do this all over again? ;) That's a big part of my problem, once I get things up and running, I don't have to mess with the back end stuff much, so starting over always requires knocking the rust off again.

As usual with these problems, finding out what was happening took days. Fixing it? 10 minutes.

As is always the way...

Meanwhile, can I just call you in two years when I do this all over again? ;) That's a big part of my problem, once I get things up and running, I don't have to mess with the back end stuff much, so starting over always requires knocking the rust off again.

Umm. I think I'm busy that day. :)

Back