Anyone Can Do It

thomasj49

For those who just lurk here wishing they could weather their rolling stock, here's a simple and effective way I do mine and it's even in N Scale. A simple wash of black artists oil paint diluted with Mineral Spirits , brushed on and brushed 95% off again so all you have is a somewhat dirty body. Taking a small artists brush again with oil paint (not diluted) and this time with Burnt Umber dab your rust spots on as shown. Again it must be with a small brush to get those ribs and only the ribs with rust. Actually you'll need various size brushes to do your weathering as you'll need a wider one when it comes to rusting the top of the car. Use a Dulcet spray or something similar to seal everything since the oil paint won't dry unless you do. I used graffiti decals where you see them, of course that's an option. :cool:
IMG_0019_pe_pe.jpg
IMG_0025_pe_pe.jpg
IMG_0008_pe_pe.jpg

I'll be posting from time to time on the loco and rolling stock threads, in fact I have a few there now if you haven't already seen them on both threads. :cool:
Yes, I check those threads when they are updated. I have seen your posting in them, and am enjoying your work!

For those who just lurk here wishing they could weather their rolling stock, here's a simple and effective way I do mine and it's even in N Scale. A simple wash of black artists oil paint diluted with Mineral Spirits , brushed on and brushed 95% off again so all you have is a somewhat dirty body. Taking a small artists brush again with oil paint (not diluted) and this time with Burnt Umber dab your rust spots on as shown. Again it must be with a small brush to get those ribs and only the ribs with rust. Actually you'll need various size brushes to do your weathering as you'll need a wider one when it comes to rusting the top of the car. Use a Dulcet spray or something similar to seal everything since the oil paint won't dry unless you do. I used graffiti decals where you see them, of course that's an option. :cool: View attachment 180906View attachment 180907View attachment 180908
What a splendid job you did, thanks for the tips

Did a little research on train graffiti…
Started as a subway art late 60s to early 70s, got popular in the late 70s, especially New York and Philadelphia before it spread across the country. By the early 80s they were manufacturing paints for subway cars that graffiti could be cleaned off of much more easily. Thus they branched out to freight trains, where graffiti became popular in the mid 80s…
I am doing an early 80s layout so think I can keep the graffiti to a minimum, but still have to learn the “how to” to get it done realistically…

Did a little research on train graffiti…
Started as a subway art late 60s to early 70s, got popular in the late 70s, especially New York and Philadelphia before it spread across the country. By the early 80s they were manufacturing paints for subway cars that graffiti could be cleaned off of much more easily. Thus they branched out to freight trains, where graffiti became popular in the mid 80s…
I am doing an early 80s layout so think I can keep the graffiti to a minimum, but still have to learn the “how to” to get it done realistically…
Well as I mentioned above you can get graffiti decals and also here's a great tutorial on you tube if you want to try and draw your own. :)

For those who just lurk here wishing they could weather their rolling stock, here's a simple and effective way I do mine and it's even in N Scale. A simple wash of black artists oil paint diluted with Mineral Spirits , brushed on and brushed 95% off again so all you have is a somewhat dirty body. Taking a small artists brush again with oil paint (not diluted) and this time with Burnt Umber dab your rust spots on as shown. Again it must be with a small brush to get those ribs and only the ribs with rust. Actually you'll need various size brushes to do your weathering as you'll need a wider one when it comes to rusting the top of the car. Use a Dulcet spray or something similar to seal everything since the oil paint won't dry unless you do. I used graffiti decals where you see them, of course that's an option. :cool: View attachment 180906View attachment 180907View attachment 180908
That is a great job. As a beginner, I've perhaps struggled with nothing more than I have my few attempts at weathering. Looking forward to giving this technique a try

Back