Any John Allen fans here??

I've been a fan of the man's work for a long time. I know I've tried alot of his 'tricks' but never succeeded anywhere near close to the way he pulled them off.

A big Allen fan here... :)

I'm reading his book "Railroading with John Allen"...

3734.jpg

...and even jackhammered out a basement under my house like he did. :)

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_5009.jpg

IMG_5019.jpg

b6cb4cd4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you dig that out with that (ahem) modest chiseling tool? If so, you are definitely a most dedicated John Allen fan. I hope you wore ear protection.
I bought the same book last month at the Big E. Fortunately, my father in law was the one who put in the basement over forty years ago and he did it so well it needs no improvement. The downside is the four 16 inch pillars that hold up the slab above that in turn support three fireplaces and a 35 foot chimney. I have yet to decide how to "decorate " them.

Nice job!

Tooter, that's AWESOME! Way to make some room!

I have limited knowledge of John Allen, I appreciate the links.

I'm a huge John Allen Fan! I've read the Westcott book on Mr. Allen several times and enjoyed it every time!

Careful how you spell Gorre & Dephetid! I made the mistake of misspelling it and caught "holy heck" for it. Given that Mr. Allen preferred to refer to his model railroad as the "GD Line" I wonder whether he would have actually cared that it might have been miss spelled now and then?

I love the freelance-whimsical ideas he had and the fantasy world he created.

Pete V, John Allen had the same problem and called it the Devil's Post pile. Tooter, I did the exact same thing but be sure to back up the footings with more concrete and dowels. Looks good!

The downside is the four 16 inch pillars that hold up the slab above that in turn support three fireplaces and a 35 foot chimney. I have yet to decide how to "decorate " them.

Three words Pete. Wicked Big Trees. ;)

I'm reading his book "Railroading with John Allen"...

3734.jpg

AAAAaaahhh yes, the "Book". :p
Is that an original or a revised edition? I'm also looking for some information on how John Allen was making his figurines. Does the "Book" have any information on that subject?

Pete V, John Allen had the same problem and called it the Devil's Post pile. Tooter, I did the exact same thing but be sure to back up the footings with more concrete and dowels. Looks good!

The footings are all one single 27 cubic yard monolithic pour, and are 24 inches wide below grade and go down 8 feet into bedrock. I know, because I spent 4 days in them digging them down deeper after the backhoe was finished. ;)

AAAAaaahhh yes, the "Book". :p
Is that an original or a revised edition? I'm also looking for some information on how John Allen was making his figurines. Does the "Book" have any information on that subject?

I've read most of the book (original version, second printing, 1982) and so far there has been no information on how he made his people. I don't know if John made his own people, but he scratchbuilt everything else!

I will look. I am seriously considering lampworking figurines for my layout out of glass but things will really have to be slow in the shop to get away with that!

I do think that Femo clay would be a very good possibility for making your own figures. It's a colored clay, available at Michaels that you form and then fire. The intricacy level to use it is phenomenal. There are a ton of colors available. I have seen it used for major artwork installations. It's very permanent.

The book specifically states he made figurines from scratch and Mr. Allen had a knack for adding whimsy to these projects, also. What they were made from I don't recall. Yes, the Lynching of the diesel salesman is a part of the discussion about the GD Line's figurines. There are almost 2 pages of discussion about the figurines, maybe more. Although not specifically stated, I think maybe the Stegosaurus was made from scratch, also.

Has anyone seen the DVD on the Gorre & Daphetid?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure it's in Hellengone. There is also an alligator about to eat a swimmer.

Back