Any info to offer on this car?

I recently bought a small lot of rolling stock from the bay. But one of the cars i have no idea what it is.

It appears that its completely made of balsa wood. Anyone able to tell me anything about it?

DSC00557.png

DSC00558.png

DSC00559.png

thanks Mike

it is an Ambroid model, of basswood (and other types). The unbuilt versions are pretty collectible, but once built, the value is diminished (go figure!). I have the exact same one in partially completed form. it and several others were a gift from an old friend exiting the hobby for health reasons.

I built one of the kits (modified significantly) and thoroughly enjoyed doing so and the results:
http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6208/ppuser/136

I consider this pair of flatcars some of my most prized models. Yes, the untouched kit would probably be worth more $$, but hey, I'm not into stacking boxes on a shelf....

They are considered "craftsman" level kits, and as such require a LOT of time and patience. They don't inherently have a lot of detail as you can see in yours, but can be made into true works of art with some added details. The drawings (instructions) are works of art in themselves in this day and age!

But I think you would enjoy completing that center flow hopper. take your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you have any questions on the other parts, drop me a line and I would be glad to look thru mine to see what parts are supposed to be there. I haven't touched mine in at least 25 years, but iirc, all the parts were there when I got it. Your's is a bit further along than mine, again iirc......

One of the reasons I skipped over this model and built the bulkheads flats was that the time and effort to make a decent looking center flow hopper would be huge compared to the commercially available and infinitely more detailed versions already available. There are times when $20-30 is easier to come by than 20-30 hours....

I instead built the bulkhead flats due to the lack of anything similar and otherwise available. And since it was my 1st Ambroid kit, they also appeared infinitely easier!

well, mine is actually a slightly different version (the round/cylindrical version).

my bad, sorry.

Back