Another trespassing story!

Yes I saw it on the news the other night. Horrible tragedy, a young girl lost both her legs.

Stupid, stupid people. I've seen more than my share of things like this. Doctors can fix many things but they can't fix STUPID!

I'd hate to say she paid the price because what happened to her is just terrible. I would hate to witness something like that happen to anyone.

The word now is that she only lost one leg, and that she was conscious and talking to paramedics.

This may sound jaded and cold, but I am entirely unsympathetic. About the only good that is possible from this incident is that if she and her two male companions are so horrified by their disregard for property rights and boundaries that they take it upon themselves to serve as examples for the next generation of wannabe fools. It's not like they were innocent, heads down, and got driven into a low-hanging branch at speed. They knew exactly what they were about to do. Now they hopefully understand why they ought not to have done more than to discuss it.

I saw this on CNN.com. Definatly lucky to be alive. I read the comments with some dicust as a quite few were trying to blame BNSF, and a lack of safety devices and train speed. I have come to the realization that peaople will NEVER learn that playing with a train is asking for trouble.

I saw this on CNN.com. Definatly lucky to be alive. I read the comments with some dicust as a quite few were trying to blame BNSF, and a lack of safety devices and train speed. I have come to the realization that peaople will NEVER learn that playing with a train is asking for trouble.

The problem has nothing to do with BNSF and how they run a "business" but how someone did something they shouldn't have done and now they are responsable for what they have done. We all "should" know that when you see a large object (train, truck, car) moving at speeds faster then you can go it's best to stay the @$(# out of the way. If you try and jump a train or around it then you are asking for trouble and if it goes bad it's all your fault. When I was a kid I recall running to cross the tracks before the train passed and boy was it close. To this day I can tell you I will always give trains more room then I did that day.

Dave

When I was a kid I recall running to cross the tracks before the train passed and boy was it close. To this day I can tell you I will always give trains more room then I did that day.
Around thirty-five to forty years ago I used to hop trains on the KCS main line to get a ride to the next town and back. That ceased when I jumped off a train one day and broke a leg and cracked a couple of ribs. Up to that point my parents knew nothing about what I was doing. But when they got that call from the cops, oh boy. Was I in for it. No charges were filed but my parents came down on me like a couple of tons of bricks! For a solid year I couldn't leave the house unless it was to go to school or to see a doctor. I couldn't have friends over or go anywhere that might be fun. I haven't set foot on a train since except as a paying passenger or invited aboard by a crew member.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if she tries to sue BN she won't have a leg to stand on LOL
-Art

It is hard for me to find any humor in this. The accident was entirely her fault, to be sure, but we also have a young lady that was horribly injured. Many of us took chances when we were kids. She just didn't get away with it and her life is now very different. That is a shame. Hopefully the publicity surrounding this accident will help some other kid make a better decision in the future.

It seems, today, we'd rather blame everyone else for our failures.
I don't blame anyone but myself for my failures. I took the easy path or whatever shortcut and paid the price for it. My nephew blames everybody but himself for his failures. Doesn't matter what it is somebody else is responsible for him failing at it. That usually pertains to his inability to keep a job. Like me he has a problem with authority figures and despises being told what to do when he knows the perfect solution to any problem. Problem is none of his solutions are what the boss wants done and tells him to do it their way or hit the highway. He's usually on the road in a matter of seconds. His favorite phrase is 'Hold my beer and watch this sh*t'. I keep telling him if he keep his mouth shut and just do as he's told he just might succeed, of course at that point both of his parents would die of heart failure.

I remember either last year or two years ago, a girl was trespassing on the CSX main with her friends. A train went through and cut off both of her legs.

This may seem a little cynical, but I am glad that she survived not because I value life, but because she, and others that get to see her will learn a valuable lesson. If the trespasser died, then people who don't know the idiot won't take it as seriously and more people will trespass and lose their lives.

I don't feel sorry for these people at all. I believe in cause and effect. If you do something stupid, you will pay for it. Simple as that.

About 2 years ago about 1.5 hours south of me in Columbia,SC, a few drunk USC students tried to hitch a ride onto what they thought was a parked CSX freight. They got on and were climbing around the cars when the train started to move. A couple of them managed to get off, but one young man didnt. It was a cool night and as the train accelerated the wind chill began to affect his grip. He held on for about 20 miles I believe before he ended up falling off and got run over as he was holding on between cars. Dead, sad, and tragic.

Most people make some bad choices when they are young. Most dont get killed, severely injured, or caught. They go on to mature as they learn from the experience. Those that dont survive, get injured, or punished serve as tragic examples to all what bad choices can do.

Ever since 9/11 it has been tough to take pics of railcars. A several years back I spotted in our yard here a Atlantic Coast Line 40 ft. boxcar in very good shape. I wanted to go get some pics of it--haven't seen one since the early 70's, but I was told no.

More than likely had I just gone on down there and took my shots nothing would have been said, would have been nice to have had the pics to have modeled one like it.

Too many fools out there who take risks, could get hurt, so I understand their actons.

here is a story i read once. it is from Jack Stewart's dissertation titled: Subway Graffiti: An aesthetic study of graffiti on the subway system of New York City 1970 - 1978. the interview is with graffitist Tracy 168 and appears to have taken place on an elevated subway line somewhere in the Bronx in the late 1970s. every time I hear of a trageic railroad accident, i think of this story and it gives me chills.

I remember I almost got killed. This man saved my life. Ill never forget him in my life. I was hangin out of the back of the train, out like this you know, im all smilin' and you know how you goof around, and you climb on the back. i was climbing all around like a roach on the back of the train, like all around. And its movin real fast, and there are work bums [track workers] all along the train tracks. so im like "hey, look at this" and im like hanging on that ***. And I came out like hanging out the window and all of a sudden i saw this one work bum stop working. Everybody else didnt give a ****. He stopped, he kept like making faces and i thought "what is he doing? why is he doing that?" And I couldnt understand. I was like, you know, like "oh, he wants me to do a trick or sumthin', like flip around" That man....he was pointing in front of me...like that. And I sensed it in his face, because he was scared....and it must have showed in his face because he saw that he was about to see me die. I turns around and a ******* pole was about this close to my face. i pulled in just in time. i went in [the car] and I say: *******, what I would'a looked like if that **** hit me. the train was going so fast and he just looked like this: relief....they should put RIOLAIDS on his shirt. And i thought like, oh, if i knew that guy, I would give him...He saved my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid, stupid people. I've seen more than my share of things like this. Doctors can fix many things but they can't fix STUPID!

Boy you said it. Cant really put it any better then that. The one other thing I can think of thats worse is when drunk people crash out in the middle of the night on the tracks. Ive heard of that happening several times over the years.

As sad as this story is, I cant feel badly for her. I work for a railroad and see kids play chicken, throw rocks at our trains, and disconnect train lines. If one of the kids was to get hit and/or killed, I wouldnt feel badly for them. Its unfortunate but people cant seem to understand that theyre asking for trouble by doing these things. The worst part is for her that she'll live the rest of life paying for a stupid mistake

Back