Another styofoam ?

tlark

I did the search BTW...

Many use styrene sheets and I have seen that Pelle guy in MRR mag. use the Woodlands Smooth It for roads, but has anyone painted right on top of styrofoam as a road surface using waterbased paint of course.

I am pretty close to starting a section of scenery in which is pretty much flat roads in an warehouse area. By lightly sanding in a few areas I can provide some un even areas, and perhaps use small amounts of Smooth It sanded down as patched surface. My concern is will the laytex is peeling or even perhaps cracks later. I don't think it would be a problem with the laytex but later I will airbrush some blackend portions and/or some india ink washes.

I have read where others use it and love the results with ground foam but nothing in respect to roads with paint only.

For me, the bare foam was a bit too "flat" for small town asphalt roads. I placed a sheet of black-ish wet-dry 400 grit sandpaper over a "crowned" base made of plaster.

For your industrial area, concrete would have a flatter and smoother surface so the foam may be just the ticket. If you want asphalt, sheets of the above sandpaper would do well.

For my layout I built the base out of 1/4 plywood then glued down foam and sanded in the building pads and landscape, drainage ditches, exc... next applied drywall mud to bend the foam layers and formations together then sanded , smoothed and painted.

You can also use thin sheets of styrene glued to the foam. It gives you a more even surface and allows you to use oil based paints. I've used the WS product and found it difficult to use, messy, and the result were really hard to get smooth.

Back