Another Computer for the Railroad

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I've had one computer to run my signal system along with my two DCC programming softwares.
There has always been a struggle for Com Ports between the three items. Also, I couldn't have the Train Controller Silver software running in the back ground while programming decoders.
I decided I'll just buy a basic laptop for the decoder programming and free up the other computer for the TCS.
Just got my new HP laptop home today. Took a few hours to get it set up. Criminey sakes, they want me to buy a bunch of stuff, download a bunch of stuff, sync a bunch of stuff and provide passwords, pins and blood samples.
After playing dead so they would all go away, I was able to download the JAVA and JMRI software and install it. Over to Digitrax to download their software installer system, then over to ESU for the LokProgrammer software and a few thumbnails of locomotives for the files.
Tomorrow, I'll transfer all my loco rosters over to the laptop then set it up with a stand alone PR4 and the LokProgrammer module.
The other computer will be stripped of the DCC programming software then get an update to the TCS software and begin its sole job of running the signal system.
One of the issues I've had with the TCS is programming signals then testing them. I have to walk over to the signal after each programming action to see if in fact the signal head is illuminating properly. That's a lot of walking. I have a new Sony Pro Summer video cam that has Wi-Fi. I can position it to look at the signal then link it to my cell phone or tablet to see what the camera is looking at while in front of the computer. I can run a loco through the signal area and observe that too through the video camera system.
Good Lord, I love technology.

I've had one computer to run my signal system along with my two DCC programming softwares.
There has always been a struggle for Com Ports between the three items. Also, I couldn't have the Train Controller Silver software running in the back ground while programming decoders.
I decided I'll just buy a basic laptop for the decoder programming and free up the other computer for the TCS.
Just got my new HP laptop home today. Took a few hours to get it set up. Criminey sakes, they want me to buy a bunch of stuff, download a bunch of stuff, sync a bunch of stuff and provide passwords, pins and blood samples.
After playing dead so they would all go away, I was able to download the JAVA and JMRI software and install it. Over to Digitrax to download their software installer system, then over to ESU for the LokProgrammer software and a few thumbnails of locomotives for the files.
Tomorrow, I'll transfer all my loco rosters over to the laptop then set it up with a stand alone PR4 and the LokProgrammer module.
The other computer will be stripped of the DCC programming software then get an update to the TCS software and begin its sole job of running the signal system.
One of the issues I've had with the TCS is programming signals then testing them. I have to walk over to the signal after each programming action to see if in fact the signal head is illuminating properly. That's a lot of walking. I have a new Sony Pro Summer video cam that has Wi-Fi. I can position it to look at the signal then link it to my cell phone or tablet to see what the camera is looking at while in front of the computer. I can run a loco through the signal area and observe that too through the video camera system.
Good Lord, I love technology.
Now that you've done all the setting up, and were forced to link the laptop to your Microsoft account whether you wanted to or not, when it begins the setup process and asks for your Microsoft account... Enter "123@fake(dot)com". When it asks for your account password, just enter whatever you want, and hit "enter". It'll note an error, and let you continue just using a local account.
This was Microsoft's response to us technicians that need to install Windows 11 on a customer's computer, and are not going to use our own info to do so.

Now that you've done all the setting up, and were forced to link the laptop to your Microsoft account whether you wanted to or not, when it begins the setup process and asks for your Microsoft account... Enter "123@fake(dot)com". When it asks for your account password, just enter whatever you want, and hit "enter". It'll note an error, and let you continue just using a local account.
This was Microsoft's response to us technicians that need to install Windows 11 on a customer's computer, and are not going to use our own info to do so.
Now that's good to know, I can use that, thanks.

I think I'm past that stage. Does that mean I can't sidestep all the junk email ads?

decided on a place to put the new laptop for programming decoders.
With some scrap plywood, a few scape pieces of 2X4s, some drywall screws and a bit of guessing, I built this drawer type holder for the laptop.
The programming track is right up on the bench surface right behind the laptop and the rotary switch is to the right there to select JMRI, Run and ESU.
The PR4 is mounted up above the laptop out of the picture view and the Lokprogrammer is off to the right somewhere. I'll move that over closer to the laptop tomorrow.

20231218_203842.jpg

When the laptop isn't being used, it can be slipped back into the pocket. The brown facia will be reinstalled tomorrow to dress things up a bit.

20231218_203858.jpg

Back