And so it begins, again

Gac66610

Been working on this for some time now, don't have much spare time for it.
The bench was done about 2 years ago and have just started laying track.
I know I know, its a mess!
Bench.jpg

I'm not really new to this forum, I just couldn't remember the password for my other account.

Ken, Mike, Thanks.... about 95% of the mess is my stuff o_O Do a little move a little.
I have joints in the middle of some turns wasn't too sure what to do to keep a good "flow" on the track.
Looked up sp,e older posts and saw someone say they have soldered 2 pieces of 3ft track together before putting it down, I like that idea, and will be doing that more often.
This is all the track I have down, did it about a month ago :confused:
track.jpg

It has already changed from what I have drawn, just going by what I think would look good.
I live in Kansas and have traveled I70 through the Flint Hills, I really like the rolling hills so I'm just trying to emulate the drive through them.
There wont be much elevation change,
obviously its HO scale, no real era in the plan.
Will be both DC and DCC as I have some older engines that I'd like to still run, if they still run.

This is my second plan (start) but it has changed already
IMG_3355.jpg

This was the original, even the bench has slightly changed
IMG_3357.jpg

I live in Kansas and have traveled I70 through the Flint Hills, I really like the rolling hills so I'm just trying to emulate the drive through them. There wont be much elevation change, obviously its HO scale, no real era in the plan.
Frisco, Kansas Pacific, Mopac, Rock Island, or Santa Fe? I see a Santa Fe caboose there. Where abouts in Kansas? I am west of Hutchinson.

Frisco, Kansas Pacific, Mopac, Rock Island, or Santa Fe? I see a Santa Fe caboose there. Where abouts in Kansas? I am west of Hutchinson.
Santa Fe, I have a Kansas City Southern, and the camo in the back bought that as a train set from my local hobby house.
These are DCC, can hardly wait to run them. Don't think they have any sound though
I'm up in Topeka
Engines.jpg

Santa Fe, I have a Kansas City Southern, and the camo in the back bought that as a train set from my local hobby house. I'm up in Topeka
I forgot about KCS being in Kansas, which is strange since until a couple months ago they were my primary client.... I guess I always think east west and not north south. Plus I often forget about eastern Kansas all together :eek:

A couple years ago a fellow here on the forum did a whole thread on modeling Topeka proper.

From what I've found, very few plans are developed overnight, then built out as originally planned. It looks like you have a nice sized space. More track (or layout) means more maintainence in the future. Keep us posted-everybody likes to look at photos.

Been slowly finding/making time to lay some track
almost looking forward to more maintenance, all that means I have trains running
tried the soldering 2 pieces of track to help get around curves better, and I liked it
liked it so much I thought if 2 are good 3 would be better, ok lesson learned 2 max unless longer straights. the track joiners needed more rail ties removed to move.
speaking of removing rail ties, what's the best way to re-install them?
IMG_3388.jpg
IMG_3390.jpg
IMG_3391.jpg

Put a couple buildings from an old layout (was an 8x8 table) just to get an idea of size
IMG_3392.jpg

Trying to figure out what I'd like to see in the far corner for scenery, hills or farm or farming by hills, maybe some berm houses built in the hills.....
so many option

tried the soldering 2 pieces of track to help get around curves better, and I liked it
liked it so much I thought if 2 are good 3 would be better, ok lesson learned 2 max unless longer straights. the track joiners needed more rail ties removed to move. speaking of removing rail ties, what's the best way to re-install them?
That is why I hate this construction method. One is bad, two are worse, and three are horrible. There is no way to "re-install" them. One has to get some real ties and slide them under the rail into the blank spots. Then one can just let the rails be there of their own accord and hope they stay in gauge, or glue or spike the rail to the new ties.

Back