An Atlas Mystery

siderod

This "mystery" has to do with the difference between an Atlas Classic locomotive and the old Atlas/Kato locomotives.

I found an Atlas Classic locomotive in HO with all the detail molded on rather than separately applied. It looks to me like one of the older Atlas/Kato shells but it's in a Classic box with the correct road number plus the bottom truck covers say "China". I thought all Atlas Classic locomotives had separately applied details. Not so? Anybody know for sure? I'm confused...:confused:

Some of the Atlas Classic locos were only retooled minimally. If this is the S2 switcher, then yes, they only retooled it a little, grabs not included.

This is an RS1. It has molded on grabs and what looks like molded on coupler lift bars. That's it. Just reminds me of an old Atlas/Kato shell that's riding on a frame and drive mechanism made in China. And that's probably exactly what it is. I didn't know Atlas did that.

Thanks for your reply.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Your link is exactly what I was looking for. You guys know everything and I don't know nothin'. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply and sending the link.

You guys know everything and I don't know nothin'. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply and sending the link.

That's what makes this place so great! Friendly folks willing to share knowledge. Soak it up and pass it along. :p

Back