An Alberta Beginner

McLeod

Forest Lurker
Hi! I'm new here, and a total greenhorn in the trains hobby. I have considerable experience in the R/C aircraft hobby, but, nothing in trains. Since I am retired, I thought I might get involved with the train hobby. It gets harder every year to locate decent R/C airfields close to where I live. Wouldn't you know it, though, I have a clean basement right below me that has a nice 5'x12' open space to put in my first ever layout.
Oh, I've been lurking for a short while. In that time, I've learned about everything I know so far about train layouts; all from the discussions right on here. This forum has answered many questions for me, allowing me to begin the thought process on how I might work my small space.
I've made this drawing of the benchwork that I am proposing for the 5x12 area. I'm wondering if the more experienced on here think this plan is workable?
The small, red yard diagram is basically what we have in the small town where I live. Up until 1965, there would have been a small depot standing in the area where the bunkhouse is today. This is just one small part that I would like to incorporate into my first layout, with some town buildings nearby.
Please, what do you think about my budding layout idea?
A Plan_21-01-20.JPG

Anyway, it begins! Guy

First off...Greetings and welcome to here.

Secondly, What scale are you looking into getting? Obviously, smaller trains take up less space.

It looks to be a decent space. I don't think though you'd be able to run large passenger type trains, but the smaller rail cars wouldn't have any issue.
You'd be able to get 22" radius curves on the ends for a full loop, with some switching on the 18" side, but I'm still overthinking my layout...

First off...Greetings and welcome to here.

Secondly, What scale are you looking into getting? Obviously, smaller trains take up less space.

It looks to be a decent space. I don't think though you'd be able to run large passenger type trains, but the smaller rail cars wouldn't have any issue.
You'd be able to get 22" radius curves on the ends for a full loop, with some switching on the 18" side, but I'm still overthinking my layout...
Thanks for the welcome, Patrick. I'm going to run HO; sorry for missing that in my intro.
I might be over thinking, but, I was hoping to be able to fit a 26"R loop on there, with the possibility of another 24"R or a 22" inside loop. My brain is picturing the outside loop higher around the north loop on a rock ledge, and a lower inside loop beside it. I'm also hoping to fit some small industry on the south side, and my town buildings somewhere along the 18" strip in the middle. At this point, I admit I might be dreaming.

Guy, welcome aboard. Good to hear you have been around reading and catching up for a while. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can help with your questions. My 2 cents, 36" is pretty low to the ground for most people. Might want to bring that up a bit. Anyway, enjoy and post lots of pictures as you go. ;)

Guy, welcome aboard. Good to hear you have been around reading and catching up for a while. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can help with your questions. My 2 cents, 36" is pretty low to the ground for most people. Might want to bring that up a bit. Anyway, enjoy and post lots of pictures as you go. ;)
After just playing around with a tape measure, Jerome, I'm thinking you could be right. I might bring that up another 6" to 42". I do have to keep in mind, that the only people likely to see it in real life, are the grandkids. They seem to be very short, compared to me.

Thanks for the welcome, Patrick. I'm going to run HO; sorry for missing that in my intro.
I might be over thinking, but, I was hoping to be able to fit a 26"R loop on there, with the possibility of another 24"R or a 22" inside loop. My brain is picturing the outside loop higher around the north loop on a rock ledge, and a lower inside loop beside it. I'm also hoping to fit some small industry on the south side, and my town buildings somewhere along the 18" strip in the middle. At this point, I admit I might be dreaming.

That's kind of the same thing I did with my layout, but I'm on basically 4 2' X 8' tables at 42" high. My layout until the past 2 weeks was basically a 10' x 8' circle. I have a outer loop with 28" radius curves and an inner loop with 22" curves. All other sidings and rail yard come off the inner loop. A 26' loop may be doable, but would put you tight. I measured my radii to track center, which is how I think the track suppliers measure it. One thing you can always do is put triangles in the corners to make your inset walk space more of an octagon. I have at this time 3 of those in my space to gain some additional wiggle room for track and so forth. Mine are 1' squares cut diagonally and the used as fill.

Well, I want to get a layout plan right, before I start spending on materials. So I went into the basement with a tape measure and started figuring and calculating, keeping in mind I have to get past the wife as well. In the end, I came up with this revised plan, using advice offered here-in.
It's a small layout that will only take up 72sq.ft., but, I believe I can work with it, adding some industry and a bit of switching to keep it interesting for awhile. My plan is to build the bench first, so that I have the palette to work on. I'll attempt track layout design as I'm going along and picking up track pieces when we hit the city.

Attachments

• B Plan_22-01-20.JPG
    B Plan_22-01-20.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 159
Welcome to the group Guy! Another question is what era are you looking at modeling? Looks like a nice space for a decent size layout to keep you busy for quite a while. 26" radius curves can be done in your space, but as eluded to earlier its close to the edge. If you put facia around the perimeter then it would offer some protection from bumping a train, and having it plunge to the floor. Also if you build easements into, and out of your curves your equipment will operate, and look better on those curves.

Look forward to watching this come to life!

Welcome to the group Guy! Another question is what era are you looking at modeling?
Thanks for the welcome, Mike. I'm planning on modelling the specific period 1956-1960, which I believe was the earlier days of diesel in the area that I live. Besides, after taking a look at what's available power wise, I like GP9's and RS18's.
Also, I had to look up and learn about 'easements' in railroading, so you've already helped me more than you know. Thankyou.
Guy

I like you, have to get stuff past SWMBO. She has other ideas for the basement once we get the kids stuff out of there completely. I see you placed the triangles in the corners and note you can make them slightly larger if you need the space. I look forward to seeing what you create.

M, if not too late consider the best height for the bench top.. If low, like say 3'-4' you're always going to be looking down at train roofs and structures..
And getting under it to do wiring and other stuff causes you to squat a lot during. Consider having the top to be about at your collar bone. I believe many will concur that seeing the trains, track, and structures nearly at their sides (slightly above) lends to the believability and realism, as 97% of the time we see the 1:1 scale this way.. This then will be 0 elevation. Then if there are grades up from there they can easily be seen and felt ascending above 'us' !!
Plus working under the bench is allot easier, less cramped..
Just a heads-up on this question, as newcomers tend to go unaware of this consideration. But for sure, you do what you think is best....M

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the kind reply with regards to bench height considerations. Indeed, I am giving bench height much thought.
Every time I bring height thoughts to mind, I consistently remember the height of the 5 & 6 yr old grandkids who lite the fire under me to begin this quest in the first place. It seems 'unfair' to me, to build a 5'+ bench knowing the children, or my tiny wife, would never be able to reach, or see it, without standing on a chair..
Also, at this point I'm not considering this a permanent installation. More a toy for the kids and I to play with, until they get interested in the girls. And if I really like it and get serious, I'll darn well clean out 1/2 of the basement and have a 12x24 space to do it in.
For now, though, it is a toy consideration. I'm even starting to build scale 1/87 buildings, and finding out they are too toy like for me, but, the children love it and are wonderfully excited.
Here is an example, 1/8" balsa built:
ProjectJan2020.JPG

Again if not too late, you merely have to have one or two movable wooden benches for shorter people that they can move around the layout. No one is visiting, shove them under the layout. All in all 94% of the time you'll probably be alone or with other adults, anyway...

McLeod:
keeping in mind I have to get past the wife as well
Buy her some nice flowers and then take her into the basement and show her want you want to build, but make it a bit smaller than planned. You can build the way you want to after she give her approval. This advice comes after nearly 45 years of marriage. -Greg

MHinLA, I am deeply considering your experienced advice; measuring myself up beside a tall bookcase we own in comparison. I keep picturing this old cartoon in my head, where Charlie Brown is tall enough to see all the shelved goodies in the five-n-dime, but, Lucy is only tall enough to look up and examine the rusty nail heads pinning down the display edging. I don't think I dare go higher than 55"; even at that, those kids will need near an 18" bench to stand on.

Greg, the wife knows flowers just die in a couple of days. I'll have to get her something more substantial, like a couple of big salmon. She'll like that.

Small folding metal step ladders w/rubber pads. Or, since the RR is on flat level surfaces, you can easily raise it up later, bolting on leg extensions.. Not same with open-grid or L girder benchwork..
Personally since you have it in your bones to build a serious layout later, why not just do that now, where I'd strongly recommend learning open grid benchwork..This makes grades, tunnels, rivers, bridges roads and mountains way easier to make and obtain realism.. The flat surface type makes all that very difficult...
Dat's it for me. Good luck, M

Wow; there is a great deal to consider in a limited space HO layout design. Being as I'm so green, it's almost put me into overload.
I thought I could go down into the basement today and start building that tracked 'L' section that I've drawn on the attached plan. PlanC_02-02-20.jpg
The plan is a basic, 'just about' design of what there seemed to be in my small town, early 60's.
Now, though, I've entered into a caution, hold-on mode. Perhaps I'd better read more, learn more, before I commit to sawing up lumber. Perhaps the shelf layout idea is the better way.
Anyway, everything is on hold until I get better educated on the subject. So, it becomes reading time, instead of building.

Back