AmTrak train crash

And 9:30 this morning CSX freight hit a truck at Point of Rocks by the commuter lot. Looks like ground level crossing and no crossing guards. Its not a good year to be CSX.

And 9:30 this morning CSX freight hit a truck at Point of Rocks by the commuter lot. Looks like ground level crossing and no crossing guards. Its not a good year to be CSX.

hat's like the Amtrak Congressional Special which hit a truck last week at a crossing. That's not the Railroad's fault...Drivers not only disregard RR Crossings, but Highway stop Signs, and even red traffic lights...Can't protect yourself from idiots and fools.

hat's like the Amtrak Congressional Special which hit a truck last week at a crossing. That's not the Railroad's fault...Drivers not only disregard RR Crossings, but Highway stop Signs, and even red traffic lights...Can't protect yourself from idiots and fools.

The 3 times we hit someone at a crossing, I was the fireman in all 3 cases. Two of them, one a police officer, drove around the gates. The third 2 friends of mine in my own home town were smoking pot and didn't stop at a unprotected crossing. We were traveling more then 50mph in all 3 cases and everyone in these crashes came out with out a scratch and these cars went flying.

George

Believe it or not, 42 years and never had a crossing incident :rolleyes: First time I demolished a car it was on a Saturday Afternoon. I was Hostling at Wilmington Enginehouse. last move was to bring three Baldwins down from the backshop, to the pit. I was running from the long hood end, and couldn't see that the crew clerk, was washing his car fouling the pit track. I hit it, scrunching it between the left front of the switcher, and the concrete base for the lube oil tank...Second, I was firing Amtrak #431, and we were on the Royalton branch approaching Royalton. Came around the curve, and some fishermen had left their car fouling the main. Crunch!!!

I was lucky, the guy running the other former PRR Local out of South Amboy, averaged two crossing accidents per year. I had some close calls, but no accidents.
Drivers, have no regard for warning signs or gates, and the media always makes it sound like we jumped off the tracks to hit them. :rolleyes:

Not to many hostler's hit cars. Hostling was my favorite job on the railroad, 8 hours and I 'm on my way home. That's why I left the railroad in 1981 and went back to construction trade's 7 hour day.

George

Not to many hostler's hit cars. Hostling was my favorite job on the railroad, 8 hours and I 'm on my way home. That's why I left the railroad in 1981 and went back to construction trade's 7 hour day.

George

George: If I could have stayed a Hostler, I would have. However, nothing stayed the same and 4½ years later, I was promoted and out qualifying. I quickly decided that this was no longer working for me, but I really didn't want to leave the railroad for a real job, either, so I put up with the long hours, nights and time spent away from home. On the other hand, where else would I get to spend time in such exotic spots as Pittsburgh and Buffalo, or sail across the Chesapeake Bay on a PC RR Harbor Tug, (The Philadelphia). :rolleyes:

Back