Amcrash passenger trains on tehachapi loop?

MPCRR

Maple Pacific Coast
I'm planning a rail trip from Arizona to Oregon, and was wondering if there are any Amtrak Passenger trains that run through tehachapi loop, or only on the coast. All of the name trains I've looked at run on the coast, but didn't know about local stuff.

While we are on that topic, has there ever been a passenger train sceduled over the loop.

Thanks guys for any help.

As far as I remember there were none through Tehachapi, but I could be sadly mistaken.

I visit socal railfan quite often and they say the only time a amtrak goes through tehachapi is if theres an exec on board, so your chances will be rare, as it's generally a secret run too.

Amtrak has no scheduled train across the Loop, as has been stated. However, both the SP and Santa Fe ran passenger trains on the Loop until about 1970. The SF's Grand Canyon Limited used the Loop for the San Francisco section until 1967 and the SP ran the San Joaquin's over the Loop from Scaramento to Los Angeles until 1969. The SP also ran several locals from Tehachapi to Bakersfield during the 1930's up until about 1955. There's a group in California that has been trying to get Amtrack to run the current San Joaquin's over the Loop again but they haven't received much cooperation from the UP.

Thanks for everyones imput.

Jim, I was looking into the San Joaquin. I have to ride to bakersfield on my way home from Oregon. Thats why I was asking. I have a friend who models the loop in HO scale (pictures on the way), and he was running three different trains through it, saying that they still run through the loop.

Thanks agian guys.

I googled Tehachapi and it makes for very interesting reading. It is now owned by Union Pacific who currently run freight through it. BNSF also uses the loop under a trackage rights agreement. It also says that it is a very popular Railfanning spot! No Amtrak though! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I googled Tehachapi and it makes for very interesting reading. It is now owned by Union Pacific who currently run freight through it. BNSF also uses the loop under a trackage rights agreement. It also says that it is a very popular Railfanning spot! No Amtrak though! :(

I have been there, and it is some of the best railfanning (in my opinion) in California. Watching trains loop themself, screaming along in notch 8, moving 5-10 mph.

Unless you hit the maintenace window...5 hours of watching, 3 trains...one hi-railer truck...and one GP38-2 pulling two empty ballast cars...

Back