Ambiance

Joe

What does everyone use to create ambiance ion their layouts?
Im thinking of adding a powered windmill but Idk.

I'm not sure what you mean by ambiance. If you mean visual interest, anything that moves, lights up, or looks cute will do. A working windmill on a farm scene would create a lot of interest. I try to build my my layouts so non-train people will still find interesting scenes to look at.

Yea that's what I mean. I was thinking like a moving industry structure or something. But the only ones I'm familiar with are very toy-like. You see I'm not that familiar with alot of those quality brands out there. I'm used to Atlas, Model power, Roundhouse, etc. So lights is a must.

Joe, if you are thinking ambiance as in atmosphere, then sights and sounds is the base for this. I believe lighting in buildings, people doing things, weathering structures to fit the era and theme, anything moving, always brings life and mood to the layout. You can even buy sound modules to fit the scene: machine noise, traffic, train noise (engine,station), etc. Sometimes all you need for a large scene is one moving object such as your windmill or an oil pumper; how about a turntable, working traffic light.;)

Thanks Rexhea those are some great Ideas. How much would sound modules cost?

Also, again, I cannot find like nice operating structures.

I do plan on including lots of lights.

Joe, if you look in Walthers 2008 catalog on page 830, you will see the man'f. RamTrack on the left and a list of all the trackside sound devices. You can also research the internet for CD's that have trains sounds and then play them on a cheapy CD player on repeat.

Ready made and decent looking animated devices are few from my experience. Some guys build their own using parts used in R/C models, old VCRs, or what ever they can come up with. Keep in mind that even a working traffic light, animated billboards, or a blinking light gives the illusion that something is moving on the layout. Also, but expensive to setup, are crossing gates and wigwags.

Walthers catalog or web site is about the best place to get dream ideas. Always remember: just because an example is used one way doesn't mean you can't change it around or modify it to meet your need.

Another helpful suggestion would be to explain to us what you are wanting to accomplish in detail. Right now, we are just throwing things in your direction to get you going.;) :)

Good suggestions from Rex, as usual. Joe, I get the feeling you're thinking of something like the old Lionel animated buildings like the milk can loading platform or the stock yard. While they are fun for kids, they really don't look good if you're going after realism. There are great animated building signs out now that really add to a "busy" downtown look. Working traffic lights are another thing that always attracts attention, as do streetlights and lighting around factories and rail yards. You can get grade crossing signals that are just flashing crossbucks you turn on with a switch to fully automatic crossing signals and gates that are activated by a detection system. Just depends on how much money you have to spend. Vehicles with flashing lights, like police cars or fire trucks, can also be used to set up interesting scenes. Like Rex said, either get the Walthers 2008 catalog (which is actually a huge book) or browse the Walthers web site for ideas. There are lots of things you can do. If you've got the bucks and the space, you can even build a complete, working amusement park. :)

(Hitching a ride :D)
Rotor/Anyone: I have been looking for a good train station sound; one with call to board, clearance to depart, engine take-off steam/diesel, etc. I have a Lionel clock that has some great sounds, but too short. Got any ideas or web sites for this?

(Hitching a ride :D)
Rotor/Anyone: I have been looking for a good train station sound; one with call to board, clearance to depart, engine take-off steam/diesel, etc. I have a Lionel clock that has some great sounds, but too short. Got any ideas or web sites for this?

Here's a pretty long station sound byte, about 14 minutes, from the Smokey Mountain Railroad. I didn't listen to it all, so I don't know if there is a boarding call or not.

Steam loco & Deisel in Bryson City NC.mp3

Rotor

Back