Architectural Models

OBS

Structure Fan
I saw some chipboard models in an architects office the other day. They weren't painted, or textured, but their attention to structural detail was so great, I almost didn't care.

I did some Googling for Arch models, but found mostly firms, no hobby or how to sites. Is there any real hobby connection between scratch-built modeling and architectural models?

Was this a large scale model of the building? If so, those are painstakingly built by hand from the architect's plans. All the structural details are so good because the client wants to see how his building will look in real life and 3D CAD isn't enough for some people. They are horrendously expensive to make and the architectural modeler will usually have to make a bunch of changes as the client wants things moved around. In some cases, once the model is approved as reflecting the final plans, the modeler will then add all the finishes and make kind of a diorama for the client to display in the lobby. I know one company I worked with had this done and the cost was well over $20,000. They are related to what we do but the level of detail is much higher and all scratchbuilt. I'd love to have something like that but the price is a little out of my range. ?)

My take on the is MDF is very easy to route and is easy on the equipment. It also looks flawless when fresh and new. It ages poorly and wouldn't be a long lasting model without sealing it, and even then it still is a bit of a concern to me.

But that wouldn't stop me from giving it a try.

This was small scale, HOish.. it was a model of house that looked like it would probably cost a mil or two.

I use to have a friend down in Miami, Fl. that made scale models for builders & once he wanted to make a strip mall for me in HO scale. I asked him what it would cost & he said not much. I said how much is not much. Now, this was 1965. The price then was $11,000.00 for a bunch of stores about 42" long & 8" deep. I said, No Thanks.
He was just kidding me about the models, but not the price.
All of my skyscrapers on my layout look just like modern buildings & I didn't pay but $5.00 for each one. I have 16.

Larry

This was small scale, HOish.. it was a model of house that looked like it would probably cost a mil or two.

Sounds like the homeowner wanted to visualize what his new house would look like. Some people can't visualize things from drawings and need to see them in 3D. It's unusual to make a model for a house unless it's a pretty expensive house but I guess this guy must have been willing to pay since I know it couldn't have been cheap.

It's increasingly rare to see architectural models these days since 3D CAD is relatively cheap to do. I've prepared a number of renderings and animations over the years for the companies I've worked for and the total cost for each job, including purchasing the software, adding RAM and an upgraded video card to the computer, and let's not forget my salary, did not approach $11,000.

At the company I work for now, we've recently purchased a number of site licenses of AutoCAD Civil 3D 2008 and the latest version of Accurender. This was a major investment, but it was not limited to a single rendering project. When the cost is amoritized over several projects, disciplines (civil, survey and landscape architecture/land planning), the cost is very small and the return very large. There is a tremendous "wow factor" that the clients get from these presentations that help convince them to spend many millions of dollars.

I may have to disagree with you guys on this one. All most every project we do has a model of the structures, streets, etc. on site. I never think there're well done. I almost always show the Architects my layout photos. They always like them and want to know how the structures etc. were made. The ones that I have seen seem to be on the bland side. The Valhalla Children's Hospital had a real gutted FL9 attached to one wing. A train layout was to be built inside the engine. The project manager asked me if I wanted the job. I told him if I was retired I might think about it, but I was just to busy right now. I never went back to the site. I wonder what kind of layout was built. In the model they had a HO F7 to replicate the real one. I guess the models are 1.87 scale. The engine didn't look out of scale to the building.

NYC_George

OMG, The Valhalla Children's Hospital? Why would you name a children's hospital that?

Real engine at children's hospital

You may be right about the name. My wife who's a retired nurse said it was first know to most people to be the Children's hospital at the Valhala Medical Center in Valhala, NY, but the name has changed a few times because of county and state's involvement with the medical center. I know now after the new construction it's called Maria Fareri Children's Hospital. I thought the real engine thing with a layout inside was a great idea. I didn't get involved with the project but I think now I would have liked to hook up a G scale sound decoder to the real engine's throttle with a few large speakers inside.

NYC_George

Back