Altoona X-ray laboratory

a300mech

Hello everyone,

I'm in the early phases of planning a PRR layout that will feature a compressed version of the Altoona facilities. I've found lots of good info on the general layout of the buildings circa 1930. However my layout will be based in the transition era, and one of the buildings I really want to include is the famous X-ray laboratory building. Trouble is, I don't have any solid idea where it was located in relation to the other structures. The only photo I have appears to indicate it was just west of the engine erection shop. Does anyone know where it was located? Also, I'd love to find some plans or at least some more photos of the lab building. I've searched Google and found some info on when it was built but nothing on the location or shape of the lab. One of the best sites I've found is the Altoona works info page. but again, no info on the lab. I can't even find anything useful at the PRRT&HS site. Here's a link to the only photo I've found of the lab.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=235316&nseq=7

As you can see it appears to be just east of the boiler shop, which would put it west od the erection shop. However there's a large oil tank blocking part of the view. I'd appreciate any links, or book titles that might give me more info.

Thank you!

Matching up the railpictures.net, with one I took in 2007,from the bridge across the main lines. it seems like the X -Ray lab was close to what is now, the main museum building.

Thank you Ronzzr11!,
Very good detective work! So it seems the lab was located in the foundry area,
located close to 9th Ave. and 12th St.?
Do you happen to remember from your visit, If that building WAS a foundry, specifically which one it was (ie: the gray iron foundry, or the brass foundry?)?

Again thank you. You've really put me on the right track (so to speak). :D
In fact I failed to realize that the photo of the lab was taken looking east, I assumed it was taken facing west! :eek:

Have a great day!,
a300mech

I,m sorry but I know very little about what was in the area previously, as I live in England.I recognised that the ridgeline behind the buildings, was similar to one of the photos I,d taken. The Master Mechanics building has had quite a lot of remodelling done, since that railpictures.net photo was taken.
I,m glad to be able to help you out, at least in a little way.

Ron

a300mech- Have you tried to contact the museum?
When I visited several years ago, they had information on the the original site and some of the businesses around it.
One of the museum guides had worked in the Altoona shops and was full of stories about the location and the work they did.
Mikey

Back