Already building, but...

cointrain101

Hi,
I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on my layout plan. I am done with the west side of the layout and just starting the Yard. I was wondering do you guys have any suggestions that I could implement into the layout?

Here is the design

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on my layout plan.

Your image looks a lot like the style of a particular custom layout designer. If that's the case, to be fair you might mention the person who actually did the design when asking for input.

Sorry I did not think I needed that.

As a custom designer myself, I think it's only fair to give credit where it is due. But maybe that's just my quaintly old-fashioned view of the world. When you describe it as "your" plan, I think most forum readers would assume that means that you designed it.

Also, if you are asking people for suggestions for changes, it might be worthwhile to you to mention what your concerns are. Does the plan you received match up well with what you requested from the designer? If not, what's missing? If so, what's changed in your interests?

Knowing why you are asking may help others help you.

If you're just looking for compliments on the plan, then that's a different story.

Best of luck with your layout.

As a custom designer myself, I think it's only fair to give credit where it is due. But maybe that's just my quaintly old-fashioned view of the world. When you describe it as "your" plan, I think most forum readers would assume that means that you designed it.

Also, if you are asking people for suggestions for changes, it might be worthwhile to you to mention what your concerns are. Does the plan you received match up well with what you requested from the designer? If not, what's missing? If so, what's changed in your interests?

Knowing why you are asking may help others help you.

If you're just looking for compliments on the plan, then that's a different story.

Best of luck with your layout.

Byron, you are totally right.
This layout was designed for me 4 years ago, and since then I have started to find a fascination in shelf layouts. I feel as though the Yard and engine facilities are huge now. Even though in real life these were huge.

The brick yard at the curve I dont think is what I want anymore. I would love a coal mine or something.

Adam

This layout was designed for me 4 years ago, and since then I have started to find a fascination in shelf layouts. I feel as though the Yard and engine facilities are huge now. Even though in real life these were huge.

The brick yard at the curve I dont think is what I want anymore. I would love a coal mine or something.

I've done a couple of Horseshoe curve plans for clients. Without getting specific on this plan, one of the first choices one must make in a design for a well-known place is to choose the "frame".

It's not necessary to have Altoona to do Horseshoe Curve, one can end the visible layout just past the reservoirs, for example, with the track entering staging there. Then the visible layout can be designed extending to the west in whatever space you have left.

Gallitzin is unfortunately kind of deep because of the wye, but on one layout we were able to go as far west as Portage, which can bring in a lot of industrial switching.

As far as coal, I don't know for sure, but I don't think there's been any rail-served coal mining in the immediate Horseshoe Curve area since the early 20th century -- but I don't know that for a fact. And of course, it depends on how much you are willing to freelance scenes you'd like.

Best of luck with your decision-making.

Back